how to remove a textured ceiling without a professional?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:37 PM on Oct. 25, 2008 in Home & Garden

• Have fun with this one! Buy on of the textured utensils and scrap it off, but you will have to put some form of texture of it before painting it. I did this to my parents house when they were remodeling. It takes for ever but in the long run saved them several thousand dollars. It's not hard, but it is time consuming.
    JD08

Answer by JD08 at 3:42 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• It's awful, backbreaking work. Seriously, awful. We did a tiny little powder room and never wanted to touch another ceiling again!

Ok, here's how you do it. Spray bottle of water, scraper/bag tool they sell for this purpose. Ok, you squirt the ceiling with water and use the scraper to scrape. The ceiling bits fall in the bag. And in your hair. And in your eyes. And on your floor. And the dust, which the water is supposed to keep in check, goes EVERYWHERE. Repeat.

It's really just that easy. It's just also backbreaking and torturous.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 3:43 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Is it a popcorn ceiling? If it is, scraping it is generally the only way. Get ready for one heck of a mess!
    hibicent

Answer by hibicent at 9:14 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• I did this! I used warm to hot water in a spray bottle. I used a PLASTIC putty knife to scrape off texture,after the texture was softened by the water. Be careful not to scrape too much off areas that were taped, the seems of the sheetrock. This was really messy but easy especially if the ceiling was NEVER PAINTED. If the ceiling was painted it will be MUCH harder. In my new house, new to me, 16 yrs. ols., full of popcorn texture (yuck), the ceiling were painted with satin finish paint. I couldn't ever sand the texture off. Just shrugged and replanted a more pleasing
    color. :( Good luck.
    rosegardengal

Answer by rosegardengal at 9:58 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• It's horribly messy. You can get a scrapper at Home Depot.
    Be aware that the ceiling will look terrible. It won't be smooth. You will either need to reshoot the popcorn or have it retextured with a different texture.
    Also, be aware that your house will be noisier. A popcorn ceiling is also known as an acoustic ceiling - because it absorbs noise. Flat ceilings bounce that noise back at you.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:12 AM on Oct. 26, 2008