My dog won't eat his food!

So, I rescued a 6 y/o dog from the UNhumane society. He is the SWEETEST thing EVER!

Unfortunately, wherever he came from he was OBVIOUSLY not fed DOG food.

It's been a week and he won't even sniff the stuff. Although he LOVES my cat's food. And table scraps.

My vet told me that although it wouldn't kill him, I shouldn't feed him JUST cat food because it doesn't have enough nutrients in it for what he needs.

>>>> Sooooooooooooo here's my Q:

>>> What if I mix a can of cat food with his daily dose of dog food? Is THAT bad for him?

Because THAT he will eat up in two seconds, if I mix it all together.

When I asked my vet that, she scrunched up her face, thought a moment, and said, "you know, I really am not sure."

THANKS. That was TOTALLY worth a $50 visit.

So I'm asking you ladies.

Any thoughts?

[[ btw - go to www.cafemom.com/group/doggiestyle for

MadaMHannaH

Asked by MadaMHannaH at 4:43 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Pets

• Just feed him only his dog food, no cat food no treats no people food. When he is hungry he will eat. He is 'holding out for the good stuff' I mean if you were handed a PB sandwich on white but knew if you snubbed it they would give you a steak dinner what would you do? lol. Good luck! Congrats ont he new baby.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:12 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• He was at the humane society for a month and refused to eat any of THEIR food too, and that's why they told me to bring him into the vet ASAP because of his lack of nutrition. Kinda hard to keep on top him, he eats the cat food and anything else my 2 y/o likes to throw on the floor!
    MadaMHannaH

Comment by MadaMHannaH (original poster) at 5:14 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• hmmm.... have you tried different brands? Made like a buffet? Some dogs are just oddly picky. Science Diet has a guarantee that your dog will eat it. SO if he doesn't at least you get your money back. lol What about puppy food it's high in fat and could be tasty for him plus the added calories might be a good idea.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:17 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Or if you are up for it you can look up the BARF diet. It consist of raw meats and veggies. HOme made dog chow.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:18 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I am gonna look into the BARF diet, even though I don't like the name LOL! I actually bought him the Science Diet for Senior Dogs... no luck! :( Homemade dog chow might be just what he needs!
    MadaMHannaH

Comment by MadaMHannaH (original poster) at 5:20 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• mine loves the chef micheals dog food.....shes a picky eater too.
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 5:36 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• We feed our dog dry food but mix a very small scoop of canned dog food in with it
    Carolannie

Answer by Carolannie at 11:47 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Have you tried putting a beef or chicken broth on the dry food and seeing if he will eat it that way? You can make your own broth at home, it's easy.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 6:39 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• First of all, select a HIGH quality dog food (if you don't go with raw feeding)...NOT Pedigre, Purina, Iams/Eukanuba, Science Diet, or Ol' Roy (or any store brand)! Those are all garbage, full of corn/wheat/soy/gluten, byproducts, and chemical/artificial preservatives/colors. Go to http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/ or http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/ to view ratings of different dog food brands. You can add broth or even just warm water to the food to bring out the aroma of the food and entice him to eat. Feed him twice a day, putting the food down for 15-20 minutes. Whatever he doesn't eat, pick it up and don't feed him anything else until the next meal. Healthy dogs will not starve themselves. After a day or two, he will learn to eat it when it is offered or he will be hungry!
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 8:55 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Just feed the dog food and nothing else. Dogs are smart and won't starve themselves to death but they will make you think that they will. I had one go almost to the 8th day before she began to eat the food I gave her. After that I never had a problem, Hang in there!
    dgall3

Answer by dgall3 at 2:59 PM on Oct. 9, 2010