Anyone have a child with "high functioning" Aspergers?

If so, did you get early childhood intervention services? Were you happy with it? What are your childs symptoms? Do they also have Adhd or OCD?

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 4:53 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes I have a daughter with aspergers....she wasnt dx until she was almost 6 so no early intervention for us......she is very verbal but a loner....she has some issues with ocd and we still are working on some behaviors....she mostly has the social issues and she is getting better, no clues about personal space....she is getting better though. I wish we had known but our area is just now getting better at providing services for these children.....hubby and I run the local support group..I'm a strong advocate for autism and believe that if help is given they function much better and are much more teachable in the school system.
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 5:34 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• My son has Aspergers. No, we did not get early intervention as he was not diagnosed until 8 yrs old. As for symptoms- he had various 'red flags' with his behavior--- and that is how the speech teacher discovered he had it and had us get him diagnosed. Autism is not a 'cookie cutter disorder' where everyone is the same, instead it can be unique and different for each person. So things my child may do yours may or may not do. My son's teacher says "if you have met one person with Autism, you have met one person".
    My son does not have ADHD or OCD, but he does have sensory issues to sound, light, touch.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 5:00 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• My son has Asperger's with ODD, ADD and childhood anxiety tendencies. He was diagnosed at five and a half. I suspected something wasn't right when he was about 3 but thought it was my parenting style and I needed to chance how I was disciplining him. He would sream for hours over the smallest things. He would freak out in crowds and would get in trouble at school when he was 4 for not playing well with the other children.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:07 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• my child was diagnosed at age 2.5 yrs.he attended early intervention preschool and kindergarden also recived speech and occupational therapy.he also has adhd but was able to attend regular classes and graduated one year later than his peers
    slyvester

Answer by slyvester at 5:13 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I loved the ECSE early childhood special education my son received. My son started services at 6mo. He never met milestones. He was in First Steps. Then the school district took over at 3. When we got out formal diagnosis from his Doctor. I am a strong advocate for early intervention. Parent Training and support. For all children and families living with this.
    martinmommy26

Answer by martinmommy26 at 5:24 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Our Son sounds like Michaux.. We just had the assessment with the early childhood program and they want to go further with getting him evaluated.. the said he has some very strong characteristics that are on the spectrum and from reading about this, it seems that he'd be most likely put in the catagory of Aspergers. My husband was very scared about this assessment and now after talking to other "parents" has decided he thinks ECSE is a money making scheme and every one is diagnosed with something.. he is a wonderful devoted father who would do anything for our Son, however I think this scared him and he is looking to people he knows will validate his fears with uneducated opinions to back him up. We have agreed to wait as a compromise from doing anything further until we educate ourselves as much as possible but I am having a hard time with this also in the emotional aspect as his mother.
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 5:43 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• My dd has been in therapy since she was 18 months old. I KNEW her speech was lacking (which is not typical of aspergers) but anywho...lol....After a while her other tenancies came out but you might not even notice anything if I didnt tell you.

She is very mild...therapists think possibly borderline. She is 5 now and doing very well... like michaux my dd has NO IDEA about personal space or strangers...which is scary..she has gotten a bit better but I have to watch her like a HAWK!

My dh has a really hard time with it. In fact, he has never said the "A" word. I think he knows, but somehow not saying it makes him ok with it or something. He is a devoted loving father as well and right now she is receiving all the services she can get so him acknowledging it out loud really will help nothing, so I have dropped it....but he KNOWS how I feel about it.

Message me if you want to talk more... :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:57 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Well, my son was dx'ed with PDD-NOS, but he has changed some of his behaviours since then, so I am going to be taking him back to the dx'ing doctor to have him re-evaluated. And, his two teachers mentioned that maybe putting him on meds for ADHD may help his impulsive behaviour. My inly issues is how much we have to fight with him to take meds, I'm not sure he would react well to pills. But, we shall see.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 11:17 PM on Oct. 7, 2010