How to get baby to stay asleep?

I put my 5mo old to sleep but when i lay him in his crib he wakes in miniuts and is up crying.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:55 PM on Jul. 2, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried laying him in a different position? Maybe on his side if he's usually on his back, or vice versa. Sometimes it works for my son (also 5 months old). I agree with the answer about waiting until his body is limp & breathing is steady... I usually wait for the pacifier to fall out of Gage's mouth & I know it's time! lol

Oh, another thing that seems to help Gage sleep is a fan running... not for the coolness, but for the noise. Maybe a noise machine would help.

I dunno, girl, but I feel badly for you! I hope you find something that works soon so you can get some rest, too!
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 12:51 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Are you sure he's dressed comfortably (tags, zippers, fabric), and that he's warm enough? Also you might want to try getting a wedge for underneath the mattress to elevate it slightly, it helps them to breathe easier (worked wonders for my youngest). Are you on a regular sleep schedule? Overly tired babies tend to not sleep as good!
    JohnnyCakes

Answer by JohnnyCakes at 12:36 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• You are probably laying him down to quickly. Wait until his body goes limp and his breathing evens out before laying him down. Chances are that you are putting him down when he is still in a very light sleep state and the movement is waking him. However, if your goal is to get him to sleep on his own someday, I would recommend using a different sleep-training method. Letting him rely on you like you are doing will only keep him dependent on you for sleeping.
    jacobsmom707

Answer by jacobsmom707 at 12:37 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• I was given a little machine that mimics the heartbeat. It worked wonders for our son...now he sleeps to clssical music and I usually don't hear anything out of him til morning. My husband and I go into his room often(he is our first) to check on him and he hardly ever wakes up.
    TRyan

Answer by TRyan at 5:08 PM on Jul. 3, 2008