cake business......

ive always had a passion for cooking, especially baking & was thinkin about making cakes, cupcakes, etc & selling them from my house for xtra $$$ im not really sure how to go about it... any advice?

http://treatsfromaGRITS.blogspot.com <------ the blog ive started to show off my favorites

mommyw2010

Asked by mommyw2010 at 5:51 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Money & Work

• I would kill to do that. I've looked into schools for it, it's like $50,000-$100,000 (I wanted to do the AI which is the $100,000) Then I talked to somebody who did it, and said it's a waste of $$$. Way to let down on my dreams, haha.

However-You gotta start small, b-days, bakes sales...etc. Make business cards stuff like that. I should do that, too! Holy Ideas! (i'm gonna go look at the blog now!)
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 5:58 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Find out your local laws for doing that. Some towns/counties won't allow you to have a business out of your house without being inspected, making sure everything is up to par, having a tax license or whatever, all kinds of things. If you started it up and got turned in you could get hit with all kinds of fines. I was thinking of doing the same thing, and talked to a gal who does it - she was telling me all the rules & regs and how to go about doing everything properly. I *think* you can call your city office to find out where to start. Some towns have zoning laws too which don't allow that stuff.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 6:18 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I had a bread business, that I put together by going to all of the cafes in the valley I lived in, and I brought each one a platter of what I could do. I gave them a basic price list and then said I was open to negotations. I ended up earning 1200 a month after what I paid out in product, and was able to spend the first 2 years or our sons life at home. Totally worth it. And i agree with your friend about the schooling- if you have the talents and the passion already the schooling would be a waste of time. Its all trial and error, and having neighbors who are happy to eat your mistakes!! ;)
    CinnamonScallop

Answer by CinnamonScallop at 10:00 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I agree, find out your local and state laws. Some states do not allow you to sell food out of your home without having a separate commercial kitchen.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:25 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• My family owns a local meat market and deli, one day a woman showed up with a couple samples of cakes, cupcakes, and candy, we ended up putting a small variety of her baked goods in our store, now we call her every other day with orders. You have to be good at it, make it look good, taste good and be reasonably priced.As far as pricing goes like for a cake, she charges $8.00 we charge 12.00. Go to local mom and pop stores or even locally owned restaurants. Before you know it word gets around. This all took off in a 6 to 8 month period. Also, do some of your finest work and take pictures bring those with you so they can see how tallented you are. Go for it!
    anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 11:12 AM on Oct. 8, 2010