Hosting Thanksgiving solo for the first time. Need tips, ideas, recipes

There are going to be about 15-20 of us here. I am a decent cook, and I love to do it. However, I have never cooked for that many people. What quantities do I need and what alcohol free drinks do you serve at your Thanksgiving meals? I am already freaking out because people are already talking about what they want to eat and when we are going to have it and how hard it will be to coordinate around 20 people, when half of them work that week. ANY tips or advice you can give would be great!

Mom1Stepmom1

Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 5:51 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Holidays

• your going to cook for that many people alone? we have around that many people at our thanksgiving too but most chip in, for ex. my grandma will make the turkey, my aunt will make the mashed potatoes, my other aunt will bring all the drinks, my mom will bring the desert, etc.etc.
    as far as non alcoholic bevs, i think you should just have regular & diet soda, possibly egg nog, maybe some juice for children.
    good luck with that!!
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 6:06 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• My mom and my sister are going to come here to cook. But my sister doesn't cook. Like, unless it comes out of box, she can't do it. However, my mom is a damn good cook. My aunts and grandmother will bring the potatoes since they grow them. And probably pies, since they grow the fruit too. My mother in law will bring something like cranberry sauce I bet. And my sister in law will probably forget what she was supposed to bring and show up late.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Comment by Mom1Stepmom1 (original poster) at 6:09 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• If I was going to do it, I would def make sure I made as much ahead of time as possible, also appetizers would be great and a bowl of punch so they arent sitting around all hungry and stuff while u r finishing...I would also make a set time and I would not change it for anyone. I hate when u r doing something and everyone always has a complaint, (I have this to do and this...blah!) You come at this time if you want to eat. There might be some leftovers later! lol how many of these people are small kids? They never eat anything, so I wouldnt really count them as a full serving, maybe 2 kids per serving...alot of websites have meal planners depending on your number of guests (tasteofhome does I think)Just remmeber how great leftovers are after Black friday shopping! I would def make too much so I would have extra! Oh and I would get an easy craft for all the kids to make while watching the parade....how cute! lol
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 6:18 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• With leftovers, I would do two turkeys (see if anyone has a nesco oven...it's a tabletop big oven, looks like a big rectangle slow cooker), lots of mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, stuffing in both birds (homemade, boxed is CRAP), biscuits, yams, corn, gravy, cranberry sauce and 2-3 pies (we usualy make pumpkin and cherry)
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:05 AM on Oct. 8, 2010