How to stay calm and cool

Lately I feel like I am losing it. I am a stay at home work from home mom.
My 4 year old is the love of my life. I have been feeling so annoyed at him
lately. It sounds horrid to even write. When he calls for me I'm like WHAT?
I am also a single mom have been for about 8 mths. I just wondered if anyone else ever feels like this and what you do. I hate being so bitchy.

NancyFox

Asked by NancyFox at 3:47 PM on Oct. 25, 2008 in General Parenting

• I do, and I started taking Magnesium. It helps your moods and improves nerve function. It has helped me tremendously.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 4:14 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• At any age you can get aggrivated with your kids. Some days I could strangle my DD. And I am totally in love with being a mom, and I am crazy about her! When you are doing it on your own it's even harder. It's hard not to feel overwhelmed, and at a loss of patience. Plus pre-schoolers can be a huge handful.
    My DD is 3 and I have one on the way, so my temper is a little shorter than usual. I do things to make life easier on myself. Even if that means letting something important fall by the wayside for a little bit. Try taking naps when he does, instead of trying to do a ton of work. That work will be there whether you are rested or not.
    Also you could see about a preschool or head-start in your area, and that might give ou a few days a week to yourself.
    evilabbysmom

Answer by evilabbysmom at 4:40 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• It's really hard to be a mom, with help, much less doing it alone. Take time to be good to yourself.
    evilabbysmom

Answer by evilabbysmom at 4:42 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• You are probably feeling the transition to single motherhood. I can't imagine doing it all on my own. I would have to work in babysitting and some down time when my child would know how to keep himself busy. You probably always have something on your mind and he keeps interrupting. I used to say to my kids when they were that age, "Unless your hair is on fire or you have a real emergency, you need to wait until one hour is up". I just explained that I needed time for me and I still do it, especially when I have had it. I just tell them I am taking a break so I can chill. Those stradegies have helped me keep my cool and not lash out, knowing I have a way out and/or I will have my time to focus on all those thoughts when my downtime is scheduled. Parenting is tough and you are now on your own. You need that time to yourself Mom.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 4:51 PM on Oct. 25, 2008