Why is my daughter suddenly a monster and how do I stop it?

My 4 1/2 year old recently started throwing tantrums. Violent sometimes, hitting and kicking me or her dad, or the walls or doors. We have worked very hard to keep strong discipline since she was a baby, and not spoil her, despite her being an only child. I don't know why this happened or how to stop it. One day she was our perfect daughter, and the next, she was throwing severe tantrums. She goes to playgroups often, never daycare or preschool. We have a fairly consistent routine with meals and bed.

flora52

Asked by flora52 at 6:08 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• BUMP!
    bubblesco06

Answer by bubblesco06 at 6:09 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Going thru that right now. I think it's a growing pain. They are constantly learning and wanting to explore their independance which doesn't always line up with what you think she's allowed to do.

I just keep my routine the same. Time-outs when she is not acting appropriate and lots of feedback to her. it will pass. I hope! lol
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:13 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• sounds like she needs a good spanking and redirecting
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 8:41 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I sounds like she needs to find better ways to communicate her feelings...either that or the fits are getting her a lot of attention.
    What I do with my 2 year old when he starts to throw a fit over something like "I want that snack" etc...is I say, out loud "Oh, I wish Gabriel would use his manners, then I could help him" as if thinking out loud. Other times, I'll say "I can't hear you when you scream, why not try your indoor voice?" or whatever the case may be. It's calm,and controlled and I'm not displaying equally out of control behavior, like hitting or yelling at him in frustration (though I yell on occasion, and instantly regret it).
    Good luck!
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 12:43 AM on Oct. 8, 2010