what to do about my stubborn mom who is having serious health problems

she wasnt feeling well at work today so they took her blood pressure and it was 170/125. it eventually came down to 150 over something. she also has been having pain in her legs which could be blood clots. and worst, she's so skinny that she told me she saw her own heart beating in her chest last night.

she doesn't have eating disorders, she's been skinny all her life. but she had a blockage removed from her intestines last year and lost even more weight from that, so much that you could see her spinal cord. she eats regularly but just doesnt gain sufficient weight.

im so worried about her. instead of going to the hospital she's going to wait til monday to see her doctor. i know nobody can force her to go. but with pressures that high it is life threatening for her to wait that long. she just turned 50 in august. i don't want to lose my mother, what would you do? :(

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 6:09 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Relationships

• WOW! Her BP is high! Im on two meds just to keep mine under 140 now! Though I AM overweight...with thyroid trouble!

She really needs to get seen by the doctors and Lisinopril is only about $14.00 a month!! OR cheaper at Walmart..etc.

I saw a video that says the same thing Doctors always say and have for years.....High Blood Pressure IS the SILENT killer.

Your Mom is 2 years older than I am....for my son......I was seen a few years ago after I gained weight having my son.....thats when I found out about my HBP and thyroid acting up again and reason for my gaining almost 80 pounds!

Just tell her point blank......you want her around to see her grandkids grow up and she is so young there is no excuse NOT to see a doctor for it! Or her health will suffer for it and end her life........its her choice.

Good luck...I pray she gets to a doctor for it. AND get her thyroid checked too, could be WHY she is so thin!!
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 6:17 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I would tell her I'm taking her to the ER. If that doesn't work, then I'd back off and try not to worry or express worry any more to her. It is her decision, even if I don't like it.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 7:50 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I would just insist. I'd drive her personally to the doc or the ER. She's being negligent. I'm sorry and good luck.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:12 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I would ask her to go again. You can only try....
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:14 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Tell her that she could have a stroke with pressure that high, and make her go. Force her if you must. If you are that concerned, I would do something.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 6:52 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I am in the same situation with my mom. She limps really bad from her hip being hurt. She complains about it EVERYDAY. My family and I have begged,pleaded,threatened to force her to go to the doctor,she WONT go. She is 78 years old. I've told her, well.when you tell me your hip hurts i'm not gonna believe you cuz if it hurt that bad,you would go to the dr., that still doesn't work. So i've decided, I'm not gonna ask her to go anymore cuz if she does go and something happens to her, I would feel terrible, so i've decided to let her make her own decision when to go,you can't force them, they are grown, just hope they decide to go before it's too late.
    mrs2323

Answer by mrs2323 at 12:34 AM on Oct. 8, 2010