How do I get my dogs to quit barking?

Every time my dogs go outside they bark at every little noise they hear. It's driving me nuts!

mom23girls541

Asked by mom23girls541 at 6:18 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Pets

• Sound counter productive, but it is easier to get a dog to stop barking, if you train them to bark. Get the excited and add the command "speak" and praise them. Then in situations when they bark and are not supposed to, tell them "no bark" or make a "Aaah" sound that is short and stern to distract them. When the cease barking, praise them. If the bark when they are outside, try going outside with them. Do not bring them back in when they start barking because that is like praising them and rewarding them for barking (if they like being inside with the family). Do not leave them unattended if they do not behave. Make sure you are there to discipline them. Shock collars and citronella collars can work, but typically only work when the dog is wearing them and don't actually train them with lasting effect, so they are not recommended. Some people consider them cruel as well.
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 12:31 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• My dogs do the same thing, except when we go outside with them.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 6:20 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Yup, it's pretty much typical dog behavior... They sell collars that have a little can of citrus spray attached to it. Every time the dog barks, it releases a quick spray in his face. Apparently it works, but mine chewed off their collars in about 3 minutes flat, heh. What I like about that idea is that even though it startles and/or irritates the dog, it doesn't hurt. Seems more humane than those collars that give them a shock. Plus, if you have more than one, if they're close enough together, if one barks, the other will get shocked, and that doesn't seem very productive to me.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:23 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• You can condition them by spraying water or distracting them with something noisey you throw down by them. Get a good dog book and it will give you some trouble shooting ideas.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 6:28 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Try a spray bottle with water to squirt when the barking FIRST starts. Put pennies/coins in a plastic container to shake when barking first starts. ALWAYS FIRMLY (not yelling just firmly) tell them "NO BARKING" or "STOP BARKING". If the barking stops shortly PRAISE a lot and maybe give treats. Hopefully the length of time will get longer over time. Also, if you have your dog where it can see out the windows/doors that will add to the barking, so do what you can to avoid this. GOOD LUCK!!!
    Friendsaug2007

Answer by Friendsaug2007 at 7:36 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Our neighbor's dogs do that too and it drives me nuts. Kinda glad winter is coming so at least the windows are shut
    Carolannie

Answer by Carolannie at 11:46 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Train them. When they start barking, bring them in.

Or, if they are outdoor dogs bring them in, they are barking because they are bored and want interaction.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 12:32 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Get a shock collar and everytime they bark give them a little shock, it doesn't actually hurt them it just scares them
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 1:59 PM on Oct. 9, 2010