Should gay people and unmarried pregnant women be barred from teaching in public schools?

the nation's two major teachers unions are now coming out and criticizing Sen. Jim DeMint's (R-S.C.) recent comments that openly gay individuals and unmarried pregnant women should be barred from teaching in public schools.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 6:30 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It is totally insane.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:31 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I think if you have the skills and the ability all of that should not matter,
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:31 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• WHAT!? He's this guy nuts! What the hell is wrong with gay people and unmarried pregnant women? Gay and being prenant has nothing to do with how they teach!
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 6:32 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• *Is
    mommy_of_two388

• Definitely not. As long as they are qualified to do the job.
    ry323

Answer by ry323 at 6:32 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• who really gives a shit with everything else going on in the world, that is the least of my concerns.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:32 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I'm pretty sure that discriminating against pregnant women and homosexuals in the work place is already illegal.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 6:32 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I don't understand the logic in why they should be banned. I know several gay teachers. They are excellent teachers. Why should they be banned?
    As for the unmarried pregnant women, that's just stupid as well. Why must someone be married to be a good mother or a good teacher?
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:33 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

How about the people that would be OPENLY discriminated against? Or our kids when they miss out of the BEST teacher in favor of the most STRAIGHT one? or the married one?

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 6:34 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• U mif they are qualified they should be 'allowed' to teach. Their sexual status has nothing to do with their teaching skills.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:34 PM on Oct. 7, 2010