Name one situation your 9 year old is going to be in where they NEED a cell phone.

Where there is no adult or phone around and they only way they could call you is with a cell phone of their own. Seriously name one. The only legit answer I have EVER seen is 'My husband is in Iraq so DS has a cell so his dad can talk to him no matter where he is'

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:31 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• what reason does anyone need a cell phone?
    Anonymous

• what spammyann said. and today we got into a discussion about kids who walk home from school, alot of parents believe kids should be allowed to walk home.. so.. what if they walk alone and need one for whatever reason? they locked themselves out of the house? they are being chased by a sex offender? you just never know. it's 2010 not 1950.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:37 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• name one reason anyone has to justify their parenting decisions to you
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 6:42 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I cannot think of a single one. Sorry but there why would a 9 yr old be somewhere that there is not an adult with them?
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:33 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• My kids are either with me, at school, swimming or on a playdate with another adult I trust. So I don't know...good question.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:36 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• where would a nine year old be without his parents besides school, where cell phones are not allowed, or a sleepover? even kids i know that have their parents deployed don't have cell phones.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 6:39 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• i walked home from school everyday when i turned 8. it was in my backyard. and there was a time i locked myself out of the house, and i had to walk back to the school to call my mom and let her know. it would've been nice to do it from my front step from a cell phone.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:42 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• lol. It's a DEBATE. If you don't want to DEBATE get out of this section or your going to be pretty upset.

doesn't really seem like a debate. it seems more like an attack against anyone who doesn't agree with you.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:46 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• well my 7 year old has a cell phone, it is a firefly, he can oly call and rcievecalls from, 5 people, me, dad, my neoghbor (emergency contact) and militay police, and his bio dad! Plus 911! The reason for the phone is h ridesa schol bus from our military neighborhood (off post) to the main post for school, and it is a hour drive with stops! Just last week, a child threatened anothe child on the bus with a buck knife, my son called me from his phone and when the bus got back to the school ( procedure) was there to retrieve, also he visits his bio dad in St. Louis ( we are military) and I want him to feel free to call home any time! And another good reason is that if he is with a friend or at a B-day party and someting were to happen ( not because anyone would expect it to) he could call! You cant say that it is dumb! Even if you have known a family 20 years, anything bad could happen!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 6:48 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• there is the deployment issue, and for us I am not afraid of technology! I believe that as long as you take control of it , it is a good thing!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 6:51 PM on Oct. 7, 2010