What kind of teaching activities do you do with your 2 year old?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:36 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Learning through play. Counting blocks as we stack them. naming their colors. Singing the ABC's at bath time. Looking at the shapes and colors of our food...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:38 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Aquarium, zoo, science center and Starbucks (for me). Oh and lots and lots of neighborhood walking/strolling.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:38 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I didn't do specific teaching activities as much as just talked about everything we were seeing wherever we went. Pointing out colors, shapes, textures, sizes, purposes, etc. We even talked about the different letters on street signs (ours happen to be on cement posts at todder height so he could actually feel the engraved letters).
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:02 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I used to take my two year old out to the park to swing on the swings, run errands, sing, play with age appropriate toys that speak the letters and numbers. they have short attention spans at that age so they will only stay put so long from one activity to the next.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 7:04 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• When my daughter was two, we bought her easy wooden puzzles with shapes, the ones with the handles on it.. she loved it! Also we did those shape sorters, and we did head,sholders, knees and toes song! :) what a fun age!
    icn_mom

Answer by icn_mom at 7:53 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I agre with momofry...as long as you talk and read to them and expose them to may things they will be fine. You don't need to do alphabet/number activities per se to help them learn. I never did any of that with my DS and he knew all his letters and sounds at age 2. Conversation and reading works best..
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 9:30 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• When my daughter was 2 the main focus was on Alphabet, numbers, shapes, animals and fruit & vegetables and pretty much in that order, alphabet, numbers, animals and shapes etc with wooden puzzles, books and leapfrog alphabet toys, pointing them out on t.shirts, signs, menu's.... Fruit & vegetables with actual fruit and vegetables....
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 11:44 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• make games out of everything. Example: for colors we start off with balls, saying the colors of the balls, eventually she would get one color down and we kept going from there. Now we are on to harder colors like silvers, tans, maroon, etc. lol. We started with balls and every where we went I would ask what color certain things are and get excited when she got them right.

Numbers, we do counting games and songs, Like "one two, buckle my shoe" there is a little dance we do with it and it helps learning her numbers.

ABC's it's the same, we do songs, and every day we have a special letter, were I try to only pull out toys that start with that letter. We color only in colors that start in that letter, etc.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 5:43 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• shapes we did the same way we did our colors. We'll play a game (about 20 mins) looking aroudn the house for a certain shape. (like today we did rectangles, like picture frames, windows, doors, bathtub, etc).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 5:45 PM on Oct. 8, 2010