does anyone have meal plans for a child with milk allergies??

My daughter is allergic to milk. I have a hard time coming up with meal ideas for this.. I need help please

Teasha

Asked by Teasha at 4:15 PM on Oct. 25, 2008 in Food & Drink

• You can make just about anything you normally would but use soy instead of milk...soy milk, soy cheese, etc.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 4:25 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• can you use lactose free milk or soy? that's what we use. you should keep giving her veggies and some sort of protein with every meal. if you are cooking most of the food you give her, you should be fine. since grilled cheese is out, you can do PB&J. Mine is allergic to eggs, so it's really hard to go out to eat with her, and she's only two. But we also drink lactose free milk instead of regular milk.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 8:57 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• My daughter has a milk allergy also. If you have a Whole Foods or Fresh Market nearby they have a good selection of dairy free items. You can get the tofu (tofutti sp?) sour creams, cheeses, ice-cream and then I use soy for milk. The only thing I haven't really found are soups. Cream of chicken, or whatever kind you use. Another website I order from is www.gfcf.com It's a gluten free, caesin free site. My daughter is allergic to the caesin & whey. They have a great Snack pack you can order. It just makes "on the go" a little easier. I don't have any specific recipes, but I hope this helps a little!
    SpaDDah

Answer by SpaDDah at 9:01 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Is she allergic to milk or lactose intolerant? Lactose intolerant and she can have lactaid milk or take the lactaid pills before she drinks milk or eats dairy. If she's allergic, subsitute soy...it is very yummy and comes in many flavors. You can even get soy ice cream, cheese and yogurt that are really good. Look for the soy cheeses that melt and she can have grilled cheese.
    profmom922

Answer by profmom922 at 11:51 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• My dd had an allergy to dairy and eggs from 1-3 yrs old. She outgrew it, so hopefully yours will too! You need to read labels very carefully. I found a specific kind of chicken nugget (from Tyson, I believe) that dd loved. I made alot of grilled chicken and fish. Luckily dd LOVES fruit and veggies, so that made it easy to make a meal. I tried soy cheese and never found one that tasted decent. Just be vigilent about reading labels...casein is found in almost everything! Even some things labeled as "Dairy Free". Oh and no Lactaid milk, it is cow's milk that has been processed in a special way.
    michelle121003

Answer by michelle121003 at 9:27 PM on Oct. 26, 2008