"So what would you do if she needed to go to the hospital"

Is what I got asked by my neighbor when she saw me drinking a beer while swinging my 3 yr old DD.
Really?! Do people forget that we pay taxes for ambulance service? It's not like I was slammed. I had 2 beer in 3 hours time.
Do people forget that it's not recommended that you drive your child to the hospital when ambulance staff are trained for any emergency in route? It's not recommended to take them yourself!
I told her that is exactly what I would do...call 911. I live 45 minutes from the nearest er.

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 6:47 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• Did your child get hurt? If not then you have nothing to worry about then.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 6:49 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I would just tell her to mind your own business but I do have to ask....Even if you were 100% sober would seriously call an ambulance for a broken arm or something else non life-threatening???
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 6:51 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Hmm. Every time I've been to the ER, it's been for something that I wouldn't have called the ambulance for. I've taken my son to the ER for a bad cut before. He needed stitches or glue, but I wouldn't have called an ambulance for that. I drove my husband to the ER when he passed out in the kitchen and was disoriented (he had a blood clot in his lung) because it was faster than waiting for an ambulance. So, I can see where she's coming from. I wouldn't be thrilled at my neighbors making assumptions or butting in like that though, so I can also see why it might tick you off.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:51 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Well, honestly, I say the same thing to my sister but at the same time if you only had two beers in three hours time then the safest decision is to call 911 but you're also not incapable of driving her if that's ALL you had and no more than that plus the timing of it and if you drank it slow. Also, if it really came down to it, you could call someone or if your neighbor is generous they could drive for you.
    JacksonsMommyx3

Answer by JacksonsMommyx3 at 6:52 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• In these situations I just smile and say "thank you I never thought of it that way." I find it more disarm to not rise to another's bait.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 6:53 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Wow,she doesn't think very highly of you!
    Anonymous

• Hard question actually esp. since you're far away from an ER. Thing is, CPS can come after you if it's reported that you weren't able to bring care to the child. I'd call a neighbor who hadn't been drinking at all and have her drive. I did this once after I'd had two glasses of wine. I had my friend/neighbor take us to the ER for nursemaid's elbow. It opened my eyes about the situation that is certain.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:55 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• So I guess you cant ever have a beer again bc something might happen! oh blah....just dont start the heavy drinking until the kids are asleep, and tell your neighbor to mind her own damn business....
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 7:01 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I'd suggest that if either you or your SO wants to have a beer or 2,the other one of you stay sober. If something did happen and the ER staff noticed you had been drinking AT ALL,they could call CPS. It happened to my aunt. My cousin fell off the bunkbed and fractured her wrist. The doctor called CPS when the nurse mentioned she could smell alcohol on her breath when she brought her in.
    Anonymous

• People are idiots. If you weren't bombed, there was no problem.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:14 PM on Oct. 7, 2010