tea party burnt this mans house to ground?

tea party had a law passed that you have to pay your own tax to firefighters and such to get their service
this man did not
he lost his house
so pro tea party people
may I ask your opinion?

Please don't turn this into an angry debate or anything please

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/10/04/firefighters-watch-as-hom_n_750272.html

gottalovemal

Asked by gottalovemal at 6:48 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Well, we lived in the country and it didn't matter what party you were, if you didn't contribute to the fire department, they didn't respond to your call. I think it's like insurance, you pay for it in case you need it. It wasn't that much for us and it was worth the peace of mind.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:51 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Even though I don't agree with letting the house burn over $75, don't blame the tea party for them CHOOSING not to pay. They should have put out the fire then billed them for all expenses.
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 6:53 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• The policy was put into place in 1990 looooooooonnnnnnnnngggggggg before the Tea Party. Stop spreading lies.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:54 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• @juliansmom apparently the town had originally billed after the fact but no one was paying the bill and they couldnt enforce the bill so they went to a tax
    gottalovemal

Comment by gottalovemal (original poster) at 6:54 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• i am not at all pro tea party and i think this is totally fucked up. where do the extra tax dollars go? it is NOT in the community's best interest for this type of shit to be going on... i guess rather than be overtly elitist the idea is to just let all the poor people's (who now make up 1/6 or 1/7 of the US population) houses burn down... and of course they don't want to give them any public assistance. i truly cannot even begin to understand the "logic" behind this law. WTF is wrong with people? good luck with the not wanting an angry debate btw - pretty much everything on this site becomes that...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 6:54 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• "tea party burnt this mans house to ground?"

Overdramatic much??
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 6:55 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• tea party has been around since before the 90's jesse and I am not spreading lies or trolling (which is why I didnt post anon) I am just trying to learn more about politics and peoples opinions
    gottalovemal

Comment by gottalovemal (original poster) at 6:55 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Where I live, I have to pay $100.00/year. They sent me a nice long letter explaining the whole thing and even give me 6 months to get the money together before the deadline. I paid it. I know that if I don't, they won't come to put my house out. Simple as that. Now, by me paying like I should...if my neighbor didn't and they came and put the fire out then let them pay, that is not fair. If we lived out here 12 years and I have put in $1200.00 and the neighbor put in $0 and still got the fire out and then was allowed the $100.00, that would be very unfair to all those that had paid.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 6:56 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• The Tea Party didn't cause this, but it's certainly something they want to happen in the future...

I'm a little torn on this one, to be honest. On the one hand, the man was told he had to pay the $75 charge several times before this happened, so it's not like he wasn't aware of it. If you know you need to pay a fee for certain services, you pay the damn fee. Same way you pay for home insurance, etc. On the other hand, I don't understand how firefighters could just stand by and watch the house go up in flames, especially when they knew there were pets inside. I think they should have put out the fire, and billed him whatever the cost was.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:56 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• @julians lol I didn't mean it literally
    gottalovemal

Comment by gottalovemal (original poster) at 6:56 PM on Oct. 7, 2010