Traveling with fish?

I have a beta, we're moving across the country next week, will it survive the trip? I tried to give it away, but no one seems to want her, and the pet store won't take her back. Any advice on moving a fish? Thanks.

toriandgrace

Asked by toriandgrace at 4:25 PM on Oct. 25, 2008 in Pets

• Don't put in in a ziploc, it WILL run out of oxygen. I moved with fish (not a Beta though) and we just put them in smaller tank that would fit comfortably in the front of the truck (I wouldn't imagine that with a Beta you would have to switch tanks though) and kept them with us the whole time.

You want to put the fish under as little stress as possible to help its chances of surviving.

Good Luck!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 5:01 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• awww.....i doubt it will survive but it might. Put it in a ziploc bag bith some air in it and carry it with you. Good luck..... put it in the water that is already in its bowl
    CoreyLynn

Answer by CoreyLynn at 4:31 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• I had friends that moved form Michigan to here (IL) and their beta made the trip. They just left it in the bowl and made sure it didn't tip over.....
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 4:32 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• i have 20 tropical fish and they do survive the trip.i actually put mine in sandwich zip bags and put them in a huge bucket and they were in the car with me,and there fine ive mostly got angel fish and have had them for 4 years and there still going,every now and then while travelling i would stop and check and feed them,i also put a stressful solution in the water too.hope this helps
    cruizymum

Answer by cruizymum at 3:31 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• do Not put your fish in a ziploc..the fact that its a beta, its used to being in a small space..leave it in the little tank and just try and keep it in a safe dark space in the car.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 4:09 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• why not give it to your childs school as a class pet.. or maybe the secretary of the school for his/her desk?
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 11:34 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Just to let you know...I live in Northern NY and most tropical fish come from FLORIDA. They travel in a garage bag half filled with air and half with tank water placed in a strafoam cooler. They arrive on a plane which from packing to unapacking is a two day trip. Granted not every single one comes in alive but 98% do including the Betta fish. So the ziplock isn't a bad idea...this would allow you to open it and allow fresh oxygenated air in.
    Good luck
    Makieno

Answer by Makieno at 9:18 PM on Nov. 30, 2008