Can you afford to give to causes/charities this year?

My dh and I had this debate. It's pretty bleak out there and everyone is asking for money. I was only curious about what others thought.

jeanclaudia

Asked by jeanclaudia at 6:52 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Money & Work

• I will donate food to the food bank at Thanksgiving and Christmas, but that is about all I can do this year. I want to be thankful for what I have and pass it on, but when I only have a little I can only pass on a little
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 7:08 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I donate clothing every year. I gave a $25 donation to a charity last year that the Chicago Tribune was associated with. MISTAKE!! I found out that 50 CENTS of my money actually went to the charity. I will NEVER do that again. The only place I'll give a cash donation to once in a while is the shelter my mom works at.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 8:53 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I sponsor a child in Africa and have for the last 8 years- that 21 dollars a month is about all I can afford to spend right now. I usually donate to St. Judes once a year when my husband gets his bonus but it looks like all of that money is going to have to go towards the credit card debt we've piled up this past few months.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 6:58 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Can't do it this year. DH is laid off right now.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:58 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• We have found a fun way of pitching in cheaply. We do micro credit loans and also heifer Intl so people get pigs, chickens, etc>
    jeanclaudia

Comment by jeanclaudia (original poster) at 7:00 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I am more picky and selective this year. Not giving as much as I usually do. Didn't give any monetary support to our local animal shelter or battered womens shelter. I did donate things around the house. Newspapers, blankets to the animal shelter, clothes, diapers, old cell phones, etc.. to the battered womens shelter. I will still sponser a child from angle tree in memory of our lost pregnancies.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 7:03 PM on Oct. 7, 2010