Am I alone?

It seems like people throw around the term 'child abuse'. I wish there was a way to show people that those words should be saved for situations that are ACTUAL abuse or at least potential abuse.

seturkey

Asked by seturkey at 6:53 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I feel the same way. Just because someone is not raising a child the way another "sees fit" is not child abuse.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 6:58 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I agree.  Not only that but people call CPS for the stupidest reasons, simply because they don't agree with the way someone else parents.  Then the CPS people spend all their time investigating people for stupid stuff that is NOT abuse and the kids that are being beaten half to death fall through the cracks of overworked employees.

Throwing the term "abuse" on to everything devalues the word and the actual abuse cases.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:28 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Some people consider not having cable tv abuse. Meanwhile, kids are getting hurt badly and no one is paying attention because they are all in an uproar because someone's house isnt up to Nosy Nan's standards or they saw some kid at Walmart get a smack on the behind for misbehaving. Stop the witch hunts and stop screaming abuse at everything you dont like! Some people spank. Just because you don't doesn't make it abuse automatically. We ALL want what is best for our children, but what works for your angels may not work for mine and my family. Not one mother can say she does everything perfectly. If you do, you're lying to yourself. Here's a thought. If you see Sally struggling to keep up with housework while she cares for her kids, offer to help! Offer to do the dishes or take the kids for an hour or two so mom can catch her breath! Dont just jump on CM and bash away or call dhs. Shee!
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 8:37 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Yea same here because now here are two things Tell witch are Abuse

a Step mom makes a kid stand in the corner on her knees for 45 mins until the mom gets home is it abuse? (Yes Pre-Abuse)

A mom Spanks a kid of her on in the wall-mart is it abuse? (No because it's a spanking and the kid did something to get it )
    Firstbabyjessi

Answer by Firstbabyjessi at 6:56 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Nothing stops someone else from listening to what you have to say like insulting them with words like "abuse."
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:12 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Actually I don't have a problem with throwing around that term. I think we should all be striving to do our best for our kids and not what we want or is convenient.  I know that there has been at least one occasion where someone used the term in relation to my parenting ability and while it pised me off it did get me to take a hard look at my actions.

FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 6:57 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• deep hought and sensitive, we should talk about it more , not only to talk but find sm ideas to stop that horor , creat associations and a a signe like "pink log for breast cancer" and make a universl day for it
    caramelH

Answer by caramelH at 6:58 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• No, you aren't alone. I was once told I was abusing my children by homeschooling them.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 6:59 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I think some people use it when there is no need and in the end miss the real abuse
    lilmama29113

Answer by lilmama29113 at 7:28 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I agree.
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 8:12 AM on Oct. 8, 2010