Maybe we can work out a compromise here!

I just saw a news report that said the govt. is considering not allowing certain "unhealthy foods" like soft drinks to be purchased with food stamps. While I am all for being a little healthier, how far can the govt. go? Sodium content too high, then no? Where do we draw the line here? How about no soda, but yes to toilet paper being purchased w/ food stamps? If 43 million or 1 out of 8 Americans are getting food stamps, then things could get real ugly here if some common sense does not prevail.

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 6:54 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it should be like WIC. I dont see why buying junk food with extra money is a bad thing. Its what WE do. If WE are broke my kids don't get junk. Neither do I. Guess what...it's WAY cheaper to fix gallons of Tea then to buy tons of 2 liters! I have been on FS and been in the office to get them and there are trifling people up in there and there is ton of abuse to the system. No one is regulating what YOU buy with YOUR money...only what you are buying with someone else's money!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 7:25 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I think toilet paper should be an item that can be purchased with food stamps! right on! And as for the soda, why not add another thing to the list that rich people can get and poor people cant! lol
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 6:57 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Soda has no nutritional value whatsoever... Neither have cookies, chips, etc. Honestly, I consider those luxury items you get IF you can afford them. If you're on welfare, your main priority should be to get your family the most nutricious and healthy food you can. And considering the obesity rate in the US, I wouldn't mind if soda disappeared all together, heh.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:05 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• If they can code WIC products they can code what is NOT allowed!! Seriously, we live in a high tech world...bar code systems are BASIC...otherwise we wouldn't have the plethora of instant, mail in and rebate coupons and online codes available to us when we shop!  If you depend on the government to feed you or your children, then you should also have to abide by minimum nutritional standards!  Son't like it?  Then pay for your junk food with your OWN money!! 

Prepackaged and processed convenience foods are MUCH more expensive and FAR less healthy than basic staples and fresh ingredients to make meals from scratch!  And with a little planning EVERYONE can learn to cook in bulk, and have meals for the entire family during the typically busy weeks most of us have.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:49 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I know with WIC you can only purchase the healthy option of food, like whole wheat bread and healthy cereals, which I think is a good idea. If you're given free food it might as well be healthy so we can help lower the rate of obesity.
    Evansmommy91

Answer by Evansmommy91 at 7:02 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• They can go so far that they can tell you just how much food you can buy and on what days. Reference: USSR, China
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:03 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• That is insane. And it could get VERY out of control. There are already several things that I can not get because of allergies of mine or my families. And alot of the "healthy" stuff has Soybean in it and that happens to be one of my allergies. So, that would extremely limit what I could buy, now wouldn't it?
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 7:07 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• The coding involved would be a nightmare.

no, it wouldn't, it's already in place. UPC's contain product, not just pricing, info, and inventory is tracked that way.

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 7:59 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I don't think you should be able to buy junk food/soda with food stamps. Food stamps aren't meant to buy ALL your food, they are supposed to be a supplement. You can still have things like cookies, pie or cake............make them yourself. Baking is a wonderful family activity and the food from your own kitchen is much healthier.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 8:49 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• That is one hell of a slippery slope they are going down. Boo.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 9:02 PM on Oct. 7, 2010