Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what are the qualifications to seek spousal support while seeking a divorce

no children involved

Answer Question

Asked by maria056 at 7:00 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Relationships

Level 2 (8 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • it can depend on he state. I know in NY you have to have been married at least 7 years. I was married for 5 years, he wanted the divorce, he cheated, I don't get anything

    Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 7:03 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

  • I live in Texas, He cheated and left when I was very ill.

    Comment by maria056 (original poster) at 7:05 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

  • I agree, it depends on the state and if the court decides if you need it. Your income (if you have one) is considered when asking him to pay you. They don't award it as punishment for his bad behavior. It's based on need. Check your state statutes. I was married a few times and never received it due to the amount of time we were married.

    Answer by admckenzie at 7:13 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

  • I'm in Pa. and if your not a working woman and have not worked in a long while he has to pay you support. The Courts don't make you go back to work, he supports you to how you were accustomed to living, I think thats how I heard it . Never had that problem in my life, seemed to get a hell of a lot of other ones though.

    Answer by MyAngel003 at 7:35 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

  • Yep, different from state to state, here in California if you make less money, or haven't worked you may receive spousal support for half the length of your marriage.

    You really need to talk to a lawyer, these laws change and can be applied differently depending on judges.

    Answer by ohwrite at 8:01 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.