What is the worse bit of parenting advice you have ever recieved?

be it Cafemom, unsolicited advice from a stranger, or helpful but clueless friends and family?

FuzNet

Asked by FuzNet at 7:01 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• Oh and my mom keeps telling me that my grandma gave a cleaned off chicken bone to her and her brothers and sisters when they were teething. Um, yeah, they have teething toys for that these days. Thanks, but no thanks, Mom.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:05 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• That I should never tell my child "No".
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:03 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• 'I don't think your son has Autism, He's just 'challenging'. You need to be harder on him'
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:10 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Whisky on the gums when they are teething, let them (infant just starting to walk) fall off the couch so they learn to be careful. WTH!!!!???? Thank goodness I wasn't as dumb as the person that told me this.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:29 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• you don't need to teach your kid how to handle situations w/ other kids, they figure it out on their own. mine would've been hitting, throwing & biting if i did that!
    lilydoyle

Answer by lilydoyle at 7:44 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• That our five year old could babysit our newborn when I went to pick up hubby from work (30 minutes round trip). Worse yet, it came from my mother in law because she thought they would be better off at home than to be woken up to go with me. Oh, yeah, and she said when a baby chokes you should raise their arm, but that the heimlich maneuver is "junk science" and she also thought I was wasting her son's hard earned money because I took a CPR class after our first was born.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:03 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• My aunt told me I should give my daughter a little rice cereal in a bottle and that it would help her sleep better. This was after she had asked me how she was sleeping and I said she does a 6-8 hour stretch, wakes to nurse, back to sleep for another couple of hours. She seemed shocked that she was sleeping so well and said my cousin didn't sleep that well until he was nearly 3. So then, when she suggested the rice cereal, I was thinking, didn't you just say Timmy didn't sleep through the night until 3? How is this going to help? I don't really think we have a problem. Anywho, that was advice that went in one ear and out the other.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:04 PM on Oct. 7, 2010