What is the best bit of parenting advice you have recieved?

Be it CafeMom, unsolicited advice from a stranger, or helpful family and friends.
My mom gace me mine: "Your child will have many freinds but only one mom. Be your son's mom not his friend."

FuzNet

Asked by FuzNet at 7:03 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• The best parenting advice I ever got was from me dad. He told me that he always tried to discipline out of love....not out of anger, not out of frustration, not out of trying to keep the kids from hating you, but out of love, because then you'll do what's really best for your kid. So if I'm angry or frustrated, I try to walk away until I can discipline out of love.....it isn't always easy, and I don't always get it right.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:58 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Never judge anyone else's kids until yours are grown and perfect and then just when you get them raised along comes the grand kids
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 7:08 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• always carry a spare set of clothes for your little ones! and an extra shirt for you :)
    nrfountain

Answer by nrfountain at 7:06 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• "Mother" is not what you have. "Mother" is what you do. "Mother" is a verb.

Basically, love them, do what you feel is best, and mother them. Don't sweat the details. They'll work out.
    Reenieredhead

Answer by Reenieredhead at 7:29 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• no one ever died from crying.
    Wendy B.

Answer by Wendy B. at 7:46 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Probably the best advice I got was from my dad. My dad was an abusive man and I was not close to him and I am still am not. It is what he said to me though that has stuck out the most.
    He came to the hospital my oldest son was born and said to me and my boyfriend "You're children are only young once, before you know it they will grown. You need to take the time to enjoy them and love them because the time you have with them as children is short and they will grow up and be on their own."
    I think it always stuck with me because it made him seem human for moment and I could see the regret in his face and hear it in voice. He knew he had missed so much and screwed up royally his relationship with me.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 11:23 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• "Sleep brings on sleep". The more you help the child sleep (naps) the better they sleep at night. A woman that I worked with told me this before my Son was born and I had no idea what she meant. Now I know & she was right! When they don't nap in the afternoon, they have a hard time going to bed and sleeping through the night because they become over stimulated. My Son is going to be 4 in 2 weeks and he still naps 2 hours a day and sleeps through the night nicely until about 7:30 am.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:27 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Use Charlie soap on my cloth diapers.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 7:30 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• The one I never go by....stop talking and do what you say you're gonna do....grrr, my two youngest never listen to me and this is why.
    luvmy4kidsinAL

Answer by luvmy4kidsinAL at 7:32 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• carry 1 change of clothes & socks, tons of wipes, & at least 6 diapers when going anywhere. don't talk 'baby talk' , or they'll have a hard time understanding adult words.
    lilydoyle

Answer by lilydoyle at 7:42 PM on Oct. 7, 2010