should a 2 month old be on a schedule

my 2 month old isnt on any type of sleep or eat schedule. should he be. does he need to be older.if he does need to be on one how do i do it

hunters_mom820

Asked by hunters_mom820 at 4:31 PM on Oct. 25, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• IMO as long as you are happy then who cares. My baby pretty much set her own schedule. She sleeps well at night, wakes a couple of times to nurse. Gets up around 8, had cereal around 9:30 she nurses and napsfor about 20 mins then at 12 or so has baby food then around 1 does the nurse/nap thing around 530 eats more cereal at 630 its bath and around 730 we lay down for a nurse/sleep. She did it on her own. My first child wasn't on any kind of schedule and was happy that way.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 4:39 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• i never had a strict schedule for any of mine.... Except at bed time. i always did bath, book, bottle, bed.... this way they understood that it was time to sleep for a while....not through the night....yet but eventually he will get it! They still love the bedtime routine....
    CoreyLynn

Answer by CoreyLynn at 4:40 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• i would think 2 months i a little young, i waited till my DD was about 6 months.
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 5:24 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• My DD set her own schedule and basically is still on it at a year old (other than waking every 3-4 hrs to nurse). As she got older it just spand out until she woke-up at 9:45am every morning, one nap at 12 pm, and bed at 10pm. Really if you have not problem with how things are going I wouldn't worry about it.
    SandraBeth

Answer by SandraBeth at 6:23 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Yeah their own, I also followed my babies's cues. If you are BF you should definetly do it in demand.
    Natsnumberthree

Answer by Natsnumberthree at 6:50 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• exactly like natsnumberthree said.. let baby make their own schedule.
    babies have no concept of date or time, they only know when they need something!
    congrats on your little one.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 8:46 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• i think we started trying to start a sched. around 2 months. It was really for our benefit, so we could have alone time in the evening. it didn't always stick, but I think you could start trying it, just don't be disappointed.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 8:58 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• My daughter is 8 months old and I have had her on a schedule since she was born for her bedtime. At 5:30 pm.. our entire house winds down. i carry her around while i get everything together for her bath..I lay out all the things we will need. turn all the lights down in the whole house..no TV on, I even light candles in the main rooms so that there arent any bright lights to distract her, give her a bath..she normally takes about 20 minutes in the bath. give her a massage, dress her..try to read another story.. and then offer breast milk, then lay her down in her crib still awake but very sleepy. we have been doing pretty much this exact thing since she was born.. even when on trips. I use the Johnson's Night Time and Johnson's Nighttime bath wash. The calming scent really seems to work with her. My ped. has always told me that babies really enjoy repetition so find what works for you, and just stick to it.
    ryleyslennon

Answer by ryleyslennon at 9:29 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• I did both. I had a set routine for how things were done and when and yet, I was flexible to the baby's needs. I allowed for any changes the baby might make due to growth spurt, teething and sickness. As they age, it is natural for them to stay awake longer. The only thing that we were sticklers about was working toward the baby sleeping through the 2 a.m. feed by 2 months of age. When that happened, I was a better mother and didn't sleep all the time. (I have two older children and I wanted to be a better mother to them.) I really is what makes you all happy and works for you.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 9:39 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• My baby is 2 months old too and I try to keep her on a schedule but it is more for me. She usually drinks 4 oz every 4 hours so I try to keep her on a 4 a.m., 8 a.m., noon 4 p.m. 8 p.m. and midnight schedule. Usually I'll stay up to watch a movie until about midnight and then I feed her. She wakes up at 4 to eat and then at 8 I am already up getting my son off on the bus. So while my son and I wait for the bus I feed her. Usually she falls back asleep so I will take a nap as well until about 10 or 11. The one way I stay on this schedule is say at 4 she isn't crying that she is hungry but I know it is time for her to eat I try to feed her. I don't force her to eat or anything but usually she takes it with no problem. They say it is better to feed her that way anyways (before they start to cry).
    nfutter

Answer by nfutter at 10:02 PM on Oct. 25, 2008