Any advice on how to cut my son's hair myself?

He is biracial with curly hair. I have watched my hair stylist do it many times and it doesn't seem too hard. I am tired of paying 15 dollars every few weeks so I want to learn. Anyone out there have a sep by step they could give me? Do I keep it longer on top than sides or other way around? Or just even all over? How do I keep it even all over? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:37 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• if you have clippers i suggest use a guard and do the whole thing the same length
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:08 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• you realise we go to school for almost a year for that 15 bucks!

seriously though- how you go about it depends on what you want it to look like in the end. If you like it pretty short which it sounds like you do since you are having it cut so often- then going with clippers is probably the best idea. Hopefully he sits still enough to let you do it. If he is freaked out by the noise of them, then you can try cutting it- if you want it all the same everywehere then make sure to cut with the shape of the head and be VERY careful around the ears it's kinda hard to tell someone how to give a haircut
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:49 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I thought it took longer than a year to be a hairdresser, I know where I am from you do a full 4 year apprenticeship......

Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 11:40 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• each state is different- and I went like 20 yrs ago...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:23 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• actually it took me 8 months to get my license to cut hair, in NY where it's 1000 hours (the shortest federally that you need before you can take the state exams).

Anyways, if you don't know how to do it, don't do it yourself. Curly hair can be the most difficult to cut especially if you don't know what you are doing. HOWEVER check out local beauty schools in your area. They tend to do it a lot cheaper (ours was $5 for children, and included free balloon). Or other salons in your area. While I agree with Charlotsomtimes... we do go to school for this stuff (not to mention we paid A LOT of money to become licensed to cut hair), I also will admit for a hair cut for a boy, it is a little on the higher side.

If you live in the western New York area, feel free to PM me and I would gladly give him his first hair cut for free (after that, kids I charge $5).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 5:37 PM on Oct. 8, 2010