Is it safe to fly for 5 hours while in my 2nd Trimester?

I will be 21 weeks when i fly to New Orleans. Just wondering if it's safe... I heard it's not safe during your 1st and 3rd... but that could be wrong. Help!

Mskixxalot

Asked by Mskixxalot at 7:47 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• yes,its safe

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:48 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I flew all the time when i was pregnant. You're fine...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:50 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I was 7 months pregnant when we flew from NYC to Germany....and a stop in Iceland. It took about 10 hours. ( we were an Air Force family) . AND, the day before we left, we all had shots...malaria ,cholera and Typhus, because we were flying to a foreign country. It was fine. My doctor said it was fine. Don't worry about it. :-) But if you are still worried,ask your doctor.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 8:02 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Yeah you will be fine! I went on 12 hour drive and im in my 3rd! Just get up maybe every hour or hour and 30 minutes to go pee or something. Gotta keep that blood flowin :) I think that is what drs worry about he most is blood clots.. Good luck, don't worry and have fun!
    smarie1011

Answer by smarie1011 at 8:08 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Your first and second trimesters are fine. The third, the danger is going into labor. That's the only problem. Then you have the clot risk. So just make sure you get up and walk around as much as you can, and stay hydrated. Bring food, too, so your blood sugar doesn't drop too much and you don't have any food.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 8:50 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• It's safe but just get up and move a few minutes every half hour or so. Run it past your doctor, espicially if you are high risk and check with the airline. Some require doctors notes even if you are not in your third trimester yet. Have fun, New Orleans is great!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:10 PM on Oct. 7, 2010