How can we make teens understand the importance of making others feel accepted?

I went to a meeting at my public library today because I am supposed to observe a meeting at a non-profit organization for one of my classes. It was the teen library council meeting where teens meet to discuss teen programs at the library. I noticed in the meeting that all of the members seemed to be ganging up on one guy because he was a little different. He seemed a little femme to me and maybe not into the same things other boys his age are. Anything he said or any idea that he had was shot down by the other members and he was often greeted with sarcasm. He said he had to leave the meeting early to take his medicine. I heard one of the kids say "well, now that he's gone." I could tell that the other kids ganging up on him hurt his feelings, but nobody else seemed to notice. I know how hard it can be at that age when you don't feel accepted by the group. Should I let the adult leader know what my concerns are?

lowencope

Asked by lowencope at 7:49 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• "I don't think you can expect to force acceptance by a teenager unless they feel that it's the right way to go"

No, you cannot FORCE acceptance, but you CAN force them to treat him with respect & they certainly can encourage them to be less condescending. If i was the adult leader, i would have noticed & i would have told the mean teens that although they may think so, they are no better than anyone else in that room. I think you should definitely say something. There is a good chance he left because of how they made him feel. I hope they get theirs one day, sometimes that's the best way to learn how it feels.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:22 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• You have to teach your children to respect and accept other people. That way when one of them show him kindness the other ones will to if they are followers. My kid tend to lead as they will not follow what other people do because they have a mother with a disablity and they would not like for any one to treat me like cramp so that watch them selves. My kid also set trends as they will be friend any one who is feeling left out..
    dorotheabrown37

Answer by dorotheabrown37 at 7:58 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I had this problem with some kids. Not my own because my kids are very accepting when it come to other kids. Make them get involve with other kids that has less then they do. use this time to team them up with kid that are different then them. I tried this with a group of kids. I let them watch first then ask them how does it feel to not be respected by others. they hated this and now they treat every one with respect.
    dorotheabrown37

Answer by dorotheabrown37 at 7:54 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I have to admit that this is the teenage scene and teenagers have their own thoughts on topics. They may or may not agree totally with someone else who may be different. I don't think you can expect to force acceptance by a teenager unless they feel that it's the right way to go.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 7:56 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• It starts in the home.
    Anonymous

• Talk about it and demonstrate accetrance. We can all learn to feel for another person...compassion. That begins at home where you show by example.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 8:06 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Sorry: ACCEPTANCE.
    gertie41

• I teach my son do unto other as you would have done unto you.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:59 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• The young man acted as if it didn't bother him, but I could tell that it really did. He has an outgoing personality, but the others in the group take him as more of an annoyance. I'm concerned about this. Since it is a library council, I think that only diplomatic responses should be allowed.
    lowencope

Comment by lowencope (original poster) at 7:51 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• OKay, just to be clear, this is not my child. My children are younger. I asked in this section cuz ya'll have teens. I just wanted to know what to do.
    lowencope

Comment by lowencope (original poster) at 8:07 PM on Oct. 7, 2010