what kind of grading scale do they use for your kindergartener?

i think when i was in kindergarten they used the outstanding, satisfactory, unsatisfactory. my son just got his progress report and it had proficient, in progress and emerging. i guess that proficient is the highest right? and emerging would be the same as unsatisfactory? it's really confusing lol. hope someone knows what they mean. btw, he got all proficient except art he got in progress which i can understand since he doesn't like to draw and usually it just comes out scribble ....and don't get me started on his cutting lol. well, we're working on cutting. slowly but surely

princessbeth79

Asked by princessbeth79 at 8:00 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• proficient= He has mastered the concept that he needs to learn

progress= He understands it but could use a little more help or he may only remember 7 out of 10 times that he is presented with the problem or concept.

emerging= He is still learning this concept and he may need some more help on it.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:04 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• E=Established Standard 90-1000%
    M=Minimum Standard 80-89%
    N=Does Not Meed Standard Below 80%
    S=Satisfactory
    N=Needs Improvement
    I=Improvement Shown
    U=Unsatisfactory
    Always talk with the teacher cause the grading system is always changing
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 8:23 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Emerging is NOT the same as unsatisfactory. Emerging is that the child is still learning the skill.

Our schools use S=satisfactory N=needs improvement V=very good

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:08 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• My kids are of such varying ages that I think I've seen every kind of report card! In my youngest's Early Childhood Center (an integrated preschool - 1/2 kids with special needs + 1/2 kids typically developing) they used the same one you're describing.

Proficient means that skill is what they would expect for someone at that level
    In progress = currently learning that skill and is on track
    Emerging = that skill is just starting to come out

When my older kids were in elementary school they used a 4 point system. A 4 meant they were performing above grade level, a 3 = grade level, 2= in progress, 1 = below grade level & struggling. In this system it was expected that the kids would start the school year with 2's and maybe 3's and progress up through the year. If they started out with 4's in everything then the school might suggest moving up a grade.
    MeggieSwan

Answer by MeggieSwan at 8:25 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• E- exceeds grade level
    M- meets grade level
    B- below grade level

1- always follows directions
    2- down a level
    3, and 4 ! You get it!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 3:23 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I have alsways used actual grades. A,B,C,D. Though I do not use "F" yet.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 8:05 AM on Oct. 12, 2010