Should I check to see if my elderly neighbor is just sleeping or if something is wrong.

We live in a condo and we have an elderly neighbor (late 60's/early 70's) who lives beside us. We lives alone. Most evenings he has his door open and the screen door closed. He is normally watching tv, reading the newspaper, or talking on the phone. Tonight when we got home, we was asleep in his recliner, something that I have never seen him do and we have lived here for 5 years. I looked to see if he was breathing and his chest is moving up and down. I don't want to wake him if he is just taking a nap, but I also don't want to find out later that there was something that I could have done. I guess, I am not sure what to do because he is breathing, but in the 5 years we have been here he has never taken a nap this early in the evening and he certaintly doesn't do it in the living room. What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:00 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Health

• i would bring him over something like a plate of food or something to nibble on and say i'm just coming to bring you a suprise....that way you have an excuse to go over there and don't have to say i'm just checking to make sure you're not dead. that would not be too good lol. but it's so nice of you to go and check on him.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:05 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I would knock on the door. Tell him you were concerned. If he is okay he will be happy to know people are watching out for him!
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 8:03 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Wake him up and tell him you wanted to check on him. I know i have done this with my grand parents and they get mad then they relies that i was just checking
    dorotheabrown37

Answer by dorotheabrown37 at 8:04 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• That real kind of you to check on him.

That's one of the reason I like Meals On Wheels program for seniors is that not only do they delivery food but they check on them as well.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 8:20 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Oops, that should say "He lives alone."
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:00 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I went back to check on him and this time he had his legs crossed, so he has moved. I will keep checking on him though.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:08 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I would keep checking on him
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 6:55 PM on Oct. 8, 2010