What would you do if you found out that your child's coach had a felony drug charge?

Would you take into consideration the time that has passed since the charges took place and now? My husband found this out about our 6 year old's football coach. He seems to be a good guy and is great and understanding with our son. And the incident took place in 2003. However, my husband doesn't see it this way. He doesn't think that he should be coaching because he had a felony drug charge. What do you think?

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 8:12 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I would not care. People make mistakes. People grow up and learn and change.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 8:15 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• The only way it would bother me is if he continued to use them. Had them on him or in his posession while he coached my children. And/or sold them on his off time. If he's clean and has nothing to do with drugs anymore then there's no need for him to continue to be punished. It was a mistake in his past that he paid for. Your husband should put himself in his shoes .. If your husband was charged, served his sentence, and then cleaned up his life .. Wouldn't he expect to be given a second chance and treated as anyone else?

Now if he was a registered sex offender then I would have an issue. Or if he was convicted or even accused of rape, assult, battery, or another violent crime I'd have an issue.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:15 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I would not care about a drug charge. People make mistakes. As long as he is responsible I would just keep an eye on him.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 8:16 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• It was a while ago. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, based on his current behavior.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:17 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• nobody is perfect, and every1 has a past. that was before u even got pregnant with your son. Whats the deal anyways....I mean, arent you at every practice and game? If he was all burnt out and had a joint behind his ear I would be upset....
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 8:18 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Everyone deserves a second chance.. I am sure it took him a bit to get back on his feet.. why knock him down again unless he brings it on himself by doing drugs again
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 8:19 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• That was almost 8 years ago. If he is good with your son and the other kids on the team, i don't see any reason he shouldn't be coaching. Just because someone got in trouble for something in the past doesn't mean they're the same person today as they were then.

My s/o has a felony. I have ABSOLUTELY no problem telling anyone about it, because I am SO proud of her today, that if it WEREN'T for that, she wouldn't be the person she is today. She is the best mom ever (well besides me lol).

What people do in the past, makes them who they are today. What they choose to DO with the past, is up to them. From what you're saying it sounds like he is a good guy, and you say he's great and understanding with your son, that's SO important as a coach.

I'm sure as a mommy, you'll know when or IF there is a time for concern. No sex offender charges, & not on drugs or using drugs while coaching son? I'm sure all is good! :)
    awasmer828

Answer by awasmer828 at 8:23 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• It wouldn't bother me. As long as he wasn't currently using or selling dope on the sidelines I'd be fine with it. I'm in no position to judge anyone on their past behavior. I know I'm not the same person I was 5 or 10 years ago and I'm sure your husband isn't either.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 8:28 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• It wouldn't bother me at all. It is a past charge. People make mistakes. I am sure your Husband has done things that he regrets and is still a good Father.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 8:31 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• It wouldn't bother me, but it also depends on the coach. If I liked him, it wouldn't be a problem. If I had other issues with him, it would add fuel to the fire. I would probably check with the rules of the sports league to see if there are rules against people with felonies coaching, just to satisfy my own curiosity.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 9:06 PM on Oct. 7, 2010