Braxton Hicks

Im 31 weeks and 4 days preggo i think i mite be having BH what exacly do they feel like? And should i mention it to the doctor?

brittany320

Asked by brittany320 at 4:50 PM on Oct. 25, 2008 in Pregnancy

• It varies from woman to woman... almost every woman has them. Sometimes its just a feeling like your belly is getting really "tight", sometimes you will have a more pain in one area, sometimes its like having gas pains, or menstrual cramps. They are practice contractions, and good for strengthening your uterus. Being dehydrated can intensify the cramps so drink lots of fluid and get off your feet. Be worried if they are regularly timed - like clockwork. If they seem unusually intense. If there is *any* blood or leaking of fluid. Call your doctor.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 5:16 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• cramps, like period cramps
    Anonymous

• you have them here and there to get ready for labor
    Anonymous

• They feel like annoying period cramps. I get them when I have to use the bathroom, I hate them errgh. You can mention them to your doctor if you want, but he'll probably just tell you they're normal. There shouldn't be a huge amount of pain accompanied with them, since that could signify actual labor.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:59 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• I started having them about 6 weeks before I delivered. They are normal, and for me just felt like my whole stomach would get hard and it was very uncomfortable but didn't hurt. You're body is getting ready for the birth. Drink lots of water, becase dehydration can also cause Braxton Hicks. I would also get muscle aches in my lower back when I had them. Mine would progress to about 5 minutes apart, and then just go away once I got to the hospital. I was known by name before I even had my son lol I think I went in thinking I was in labor 4 times before I was induced.
    cskomk0106

Answer by cskomk0106 at 6:11 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• My entire uterus tightens up for a few seconds to a minute. They aren't regular though if they start creating a pattern then I have to call L& D. If you do get them rest, drink some water and lay on our left side also you might get them if you have to pee but are holding it in. I have that happen at work sometimes.
    legalmom343

Answer by legalmom343 at 6:24 PM on Oct. 25, 2008