What can I do to help my 2 month old enjoy tummy time?

I have this tummy time gym, but my 2 month old daughter still cries during tummy time. Not sure what to do. Is this normal? Do I wait a little longer before practicing it more? What do you moms do?

XdollskinX

Asked by XdollskinX at 8:18 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My 3 month old still isn't a big fan, but here's what works.

I prop him up on our Boppy pillow. He can see higher, still gets those neck muscles working, and lasts longer before complaining (about 3 minutes instead of only 30 seconds).
    I carry him around facedown like a football. I cradle his chest in my hand, and tuck him under my arm, resting on my hip. It's actually quite comfy for both of us, and he likes it because he gets to see more stuff.
    I wait a while after he's eaten, when he's in a good mood, let him play on his back for a while, then roll him over. As soon as he starts to complain (30-60 seconds) I put him back on his back, get him happy again, then repeat. We'll do this a couple of times, spaced out during a whole day. And he's developing perfectly normal so far!
    Reenieredhead

Answer by Reenieredhead at 8:45 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Lie down on the floor facing her during tummy time. She'll probably still hate it, but you'll be able to work her up to longer and longer amounts of time before she starts complaining too much.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:25 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Put some colerful soft toys in front her and yes its normal but she will get used to it
    lovelypisces

Answer by lovelypisces at 8:20 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Neither of my kids liked tummy time either. We did it a little, but not much. They both developed fine, both crawled, etc. I wouldn't push it, but I would still try once in a while to play with her on her tummy.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:29 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• do you get on the floor with her, on her level I mean? and lots of bright soft toys.
    Candy G.

Answer by Candy G. at 8:32 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• My son didnt like it either. I would lay down and put him on my chest. It worked perfectly and it was quite conventient. I was just relaxing with him but he was still getting the practice in.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 8:35 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• So doing tummy time on my tummy is just as good if she does it on the floor ??
    XdollskinX

Comment by XdollskinX (original poster) at 8:45 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I have tryed all of the above and my son hates it and has always .. I think he will just walk and never crawl lol
    kimmi85035

Answer by kimmi85035 at 12:28 AM on Oct. 8, 2010