If you're pregnancy was unplanned, how did you tell you parents?

SkylaDarling

Asked by SkylaDarling at 8:25 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I gave my mom a thank you card. I thanked her for being such a great mom and told her she would be a great grandma. She didn't get it at first. However, my sister, who was there at the time, started staring at my husband and I the moment we handed my mom the card, with her mouth hanging open. She knew something was up.

With my dad, I just called him and told him he was going to be a grandpa. Dead silence, then laughter, then, "I don't think I'm old enough." He's 56.

My siblings were fun. I called and told them they were going to be aunts or uncles. My youngest sister (19), was at work, and started jumping up and down, ran out from behind the counter and started hugging me and talking to my belly. She was definitely excited.
    Reenieredhead

Answer by Reenieredhead at 8:40 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• well, mine was unplanned, but i was married so i guess it was not a really big deal. my sister got pregant before she got married (by a loser and she left home on bad terms to move closer to him, but that's a whole different story lol). she just told them that they were going to be grandparents. they were pissed at first but came around. when i told my dad i was pregnant he was happy eventhough i had only been married a month lol.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:29 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• " I've got surprising news...."
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 8:28 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Mine was very unplanned, & In fact my egg donor had just asked me a week before if I was pregnant, in walmart no less, *we weren't talking at the time* & I had told her no. I wasn't even late when I took the test... So the day before thanksgiving I called her & I was like Ummm I didn't want you to hear it from anyone else. Im pregnant.... She didn't take it to well to say the least... Ended up telling me I had two choices I could aport it, or sign over all rights to the baby when it was born.. To say the least she got called some pretty names & I ended up being rushed to the er an hour later due to bleeding....

We don't talk now.

As for my real father he didn't know I was pregnant, or even knew I was involed with anyone. I didn't meet him until I was 21...He found out through my stepsister who I found on myspace, through photographs I had up of my son. He had no clue, but was very excited.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 8:38 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I had a crying breakdown in the living room.
    TempestRayne

Answer by TempestRayne at 8:40 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I was 17... I was terrified so I waited until we had our 4th of July picnic and had about 100 guests over. Both of my parents went into the house/kitchen at the same time and I followed them in.
    I figured it would be better to have witnesses!! LOL.. seriously.. that was my "rational" thought process at the time.
    I saw that we were alone.. so I said, "Mom, Dad, I have something to tell you".
    Without missing a beat, my (step)mom said, "You're pregnant, aren't you?" I was like.. "How did you know??" and she said she suspected it for a while. I was like, "Oh my god! Why didn't you tell me? I just figured it out 2 weeks ago, I'm 20 weeks now!!!" Anyway.. I was terrified for nothing.. my parents rock! They helped/help me out and have been wonderful. Because of them I finished high school on time and I eventually graduated college taking part time courses and working. Now? I'm 36 w/an 17 year old darn near perfect ds! :)
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 9:08 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• told them the same way i would if I had planned it. I was 22 when I got pregnant with my daughter. Because of complication in the past with Miscarriages I always waiting until I was closer to 13 weeks before telling most people.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:08 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• We told my MIL that we wouldn't be able to come down to Florida to visit her in the spring like we normally do, she of course asked why, and we told her it was because that was when the baby was due! This is her first grandbaby and she is very excited. So was my FIL (they are divorced).

My parents on the other hand will never have the privelege of seeing our children so there is no need to tell them.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 10:02 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I have some shocking news....I'm pregnant
    ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 10:02 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Thanks for all the stories. I loved reading all of them. I'm trying to tell my mom and dad and had no clue how to do it.
    SkylaDarling

Comment by SkylaDarling (original poster) at 10:05 PM on Oct. 7, 2010