if you live really close to an airforce base....

is it really bad? really noisy? I'm looking at a house tomorrow which is a street away from an airforce base. the landlady told me the noise takes about a month to get used to. the rent is affordable and the yard is privately fenced.

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 8:47 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I don't live near an airforce base but I have lived outside an army base, next to the airfield. It wasn't that bad, because most of the stuff happened during the day. Now, we live near some railroad tracks and for the first month I would wake up at 2 am and 5 am when the train would go by. Now, I don't even notice it at all.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:00 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• We have lived near and on an Air Force base for the past 5 years and I don't even notice it anymore. I think the time estimate of a month to get used to it is a good time and it sounds like you have found a nice place. Luckily you aren't buying so if it is a real problem you will be able to move in a little while but honestly, I stopped noticing the jets.
    katie23

Answer by katie23 at 9:04 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I used to live a few blocks from a major airport.  After awhile you tune out the noise.  We now live just like 20 yards from some very busy train tracks.  We've been here 2 months and I barely notice the trains any more and they run all day and night.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:10 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• My hubby is in the Air Force so we have lived on or near one for the last 7 years. You do get used to it after a while. Sometimes it depends on what kind of planes they have they may not bother you much at all. Right now we live within a few miles of an air force base, an international airport, and an army base and I can honestly say the only thing in the sky that I really ever notice are the army helicopters...they are so loud and it seems like they are overhead forever.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 9:32 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I used to live under the flight path of a naval air station and it was LOUD. Sometimes the jets were so loud that my ears would hurt or I could not watch TV at night if they were doing their ops. It all depends on what type of air force base. This air station was were all the F/18s took off and landed. When the annual airshow happened, the Blue Angels would fly so close I could see their tail numbers.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:15 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I've lived near an Air Force base and now live near a Marine Air Corp station. It took about a month to get used to the noise, but from that, unless they fly low and rattle things I don't notice.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:31 AM on Oct. 8, 2010