Have you ever met someone who defies what the bible says?

As in, have you ever met an atheist/non believer who ISN'T what the bible says they "are"? Or how about other sinners....do you find them to be human just as you are...or the "abomination" that the bible states? Do you judge according to what you experience with other people, or simply by what a book tells you to think and judge like?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 9:18 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Only God can judge us and we are all sinners.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 9:21 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• What bible are you reading that considers sinners an "abomination"? Jesus came to save us from our sins.

It is human nature to judge others. We all do it all the time. You judge the Mom at the mall/store whose kid is having a fit or running around out of control. You judge your co-workers who love to gossip. You judge the lady at church whose skirt is just a bit too short or the guy whose clothes are wrinkled. You judge the parents whose kids are in special ed or summer school.

We all need to learn tolerance and acceptance.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 9:24 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• First of all, I don't condemn anyone, I do not tell anyone they are going to Hell (or Heaven for that matter) because only God has the authority to do that. I've never even told anyone IRL or on the internet, "you're a sinner," because it'd be ridiculous to say - we are all sinners.

In real life I do have friends who behave immorally, and they know they are disobeying God. One person in particular, although he knows he's disobeying God with oodles of vices, believes himself to be "perfect" and has told me that I'm a "prude." Other than that, he's a fun person, and he likes to say he's "darkening my doorstep" when he's in town. (He sleeps on the living room floor when he passes through town - he travels a lot)
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 10:01 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• "Do you judge according to what you experience with other people, or simply by what a book tells you to think and judge like?"

Ummm doesn't the bible tell you not to judge others? lol I thought that was the whole premise. That only God is the judge.
    v8v

Answer by v8v at 12:10 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Honestly, I think you have a misunderstanding of what the Bible is for, and a misinterpretation of what it means.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:26 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I can't blame you for having misunderstandings. All of these ladies have said that Jesus came to save us all from our sins, and thats how they act. The problem somes around when people who are claiming to be Christians are not acting like Christ. Sure in Old Test. days people would be judged and stoned for their sins. But then came Jesus who took all of the punishment upon Himself so that we wouldn't have to be perfect to be with God! I have a gay sister, who is saved, but she continues to live with her girlfriend, I have other friend who smoke, drink. I have been known to talk A LOT LOL so who is better? NONE we are all in the same boat tring to stay afloat. I'm sorry for the people in your life who made you think that God loves some more than others. We are all sinners but when we are washed in the blood of Christ, thats all God sees, what His Son did for us! I hope this gives you a little insite.
    mccoolemomma97

Answer by mccoolemomma97 at 12:51 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• We're allowed to judge as in discern right from wrong but not in the since of condemning, like telling someone that they're going to hell. So, I look at people as people and I look at their sin as sin and I know to stay off of God's throne.

BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 4:17 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Most people are good people it doesn't matter what their beliefs are. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:24 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Unless religion comes up, I never know what people are religiously, so I wouldn't know if I was meeting a mean or nice Athiest or Christian unless I asked (which I never do cuz I really don't care).

In my experience both sides have seemed pretty normal, its only the extremists of both sides that really stand out.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:18 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• IA Zoeyis.
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 7:23 AM on Oct. 8, 2010