to all the moms who do not celebrate halloween...

what do you do so that your kids wont feel left out?
i am married and this will be my dd's first Halloween that she will be able to enjoy..but dh does not believe in Halloween so we don't do anything and he doesn't want to do anything...
what can i do so my dd wont feel left out when her cousins come over with there costumes on and lots of candy????

Lovin_mybaby5

Asked by Lovin_mybaby5 at 9:21 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Harvest festivals.....

Churches do them or even malls...
    My church has one and they even dress up in renaissance gear.

Or ask her what she wants to do and do that :)
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 9:22 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• why would the cousins come over if they know you don't celebrate?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:24 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I would ask that family not come over to show off the costumes and watch a movie or whatever...basically its just another night. We chose not to celebrate for religious reasons and my children understand this so we just treat it like any other night.
    armyofmany

Answer by armyofmany at 9:37 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• We don't hand out candy or anything. DH's neices & nephews are either too old to TOT or live too far away. My only neice lives too far away and they don't TOT either. We'll either stay home and rent a movie to watch with the lights turned off, or we'll go away with my parents - they don't do Halloween either. My kids don't feel left out - a lot of the kids in their classes TOT but they've yet to come home and ask why they can't or don't. Doesn't phase them. They know there are other things they're allowed to do that their classmates aren't.
    Anonymous

• I celebrate halloween with my child, but I have several friends that their religion doesn't allow them to celebrate they usually have other kids over for a party,but do not allow costumes or any halloween decorations, they call it a welcome to fall end of summer party, they bob for apples, have hayrides, candy, they also have crafts where they make Thanks giving decorations and fall leaf collages
    beckybuck

Answer by beckybuck at 12:07 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Is DH a JW? If it's religious reasons why, like being a JW, I can understand, and unfortunetely you knew that when you married him and agreed to his wishes there.

Otherwise, if he is just not a holiday person I would try to do a more seasonal celebration type of event. Like harvest festibles, etc.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 5:02 PM on Oct. 8, 2010