how do i get my 6 mo. old to nurse for longer than 5 minutes?

He is a five minute sipper. He usually doesn't seem to want anymore or got what he neeeded, i am not sure. he's been 17 pounds for a few months now, i have tried to cut back on his solid food and it hasn't changed his 5 minute eating habbit

bonney218

Asked by bonney218 at 9:42 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Maybe he is proficient and emptied the breast in those 5 minutes. If he isn't fussy afterwards, he did his job.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:45 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• My 6 month old is a very quick nurser! As long as he isn't losing weight and is still nursing every 3 to 4 hours he should be fine.
    armyofmany

Answer by armyofmany at 9:47 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Try nursing him in a dark quiet room, where there's nothing to distract him. But if he seems satisfied and is having enough wet diapers, I wouldn't worry. 17 lbs at 6 months is pretty good!
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 9:55 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• My daughter has never nursed very long. If he's satisfied, then I'm sure he's getting enough. Just be sure to offer breast before solids, other than that, don't worry about it as long as his diaper count is good. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:57 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• oh, thank you for answering me. he looks thinner to alot of us, he's 17-18 pounds, Dr. says they usually don't see babies slowing in the weight gain untill later on when they are moving more. he is busy all the time. i would think if he goes all night without nursing that in the morning he would like a good amount to drink. My breast does seem emptied. Then about an hour later he wants his cereal, later at lunch time 3-4 hours I offer the breast and he either doesn't want it, or only drinks for ALMOST 5 minutes. Then not a short time from that does he want something else, some fruit or veg. Not much interested in milk, bottle or breast, it's making me nuts to not know if he's getting enough. when i work my husband gives him a bottle of milk and he has to fight him just about to get him to take only 2 or so ounces either before his cereal or before he puts him to bed, it's crazy!
    bonney218

Comment by bonney218 (original poster) at 10:05 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I have tried the quiet room, the burp rag over his face. he is very distracted as well, his 7 year old sister seems to be more interesting. I feel that he should nurse longer because the milk seems to be thicker after 5 minutes of nursing or pumping and i would like for him to get the richer milk.
    I know he gets a good drink after a letdown, but he usually won't stay on for much longer after that, AND durning the day he might not want to wait for a let down when i do try to feed him, it's like he's holding out for that cereal and fruit. later.
    I get 5-6 maybe, or more of wet diapers.
    bonney218

Comment by bonney218 (original poster) at 10:14 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• cereal is empty filler and has nothing to offer calorically or nutritionally. I'd stop it. babies can't even digest it well. real food is better. avocado is a superior food for example.

As long as he's got a normal wet diaper count he's likely just a fast nurser who likes it on tap.

I also recommend letting him self feed rather than feeding him purees. the nutrition is better, he'll work for it, and won't over eat. check out baby led solids We do it a and its been the best.

btw, breastfed babies tend to slow don in weight gain and are leaner than their ff peers.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:48 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• My 1 yr old girl is 20lbs and is freakishly strong. She's a lean mean energy whirlwind machine. google: "look at the baby not the scale."
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:50 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I would dump the solids and give him no option BUT milk. He certainly shouldn't get any solids until he's gotten a good nursing session in, so if he's not nursing well, he shouldn't be getting solids.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:37 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• No solids till he's nursed. Solids are dessert and ONLY follow nursing. That's the best way to get him down to business. But five minute is fine if he hasn't had solids before or separately.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:58 PM on Oct. 8, 2010