How did you chose your religion?

artC1s

Asked by artC1s at 9:47 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I just followed my heart.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:43 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I have faith, not a religion. I have yet to find a "religion" that goes along with my beliefs system and doesn't involve politics. To me faith is between me and God, religion is the stereotype that man has thrown in the mix.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:34 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I didn't "choose" a religion. I have my beliefs and I found a rather general term which explains it. Atheist= Latin translation "without God"
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:41 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I studied several religions and made one up for myself.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:48 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I was raised in a pretty liberal Christian home, so my faith has had plenty of room to grow and I've followed my own convictions as my faith has evolved over the years. I consider myself a Christian Universalist now, but I study and pull from all of the faiths - I believe in pluralism, in the equal validity of all of the available paths and believe that God can be found through all of them.

I didn't really "choose" it, its just what I feel convicted with, what I believe, and what I've experienced. Its the way my faith has evolved, the way my heart and spirituality have grown over time. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:37 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I stopped fighting my heart and soul.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:21 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• i was born into it. after what it has done for me i didn't see a need for another one. it's perfect for me.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 9:52 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I was raised in it, then decided that it fit my personal belief system well so stuck with it.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:58 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• i dont like the idea that i "chose" my faith...its always been the way i feel, i just had to find the guts to accept it. i was raised in a conservative Christian community (one that not only teaches non-Christians are going to burn, but all Christians not exactly like them) and saw the blackness of the ppls hearts. they werent happy, they thought the more miserable they were the better Christians they were. it was awful! i wanted a happy faith, not one that forced this life into a dark corner of blah-ness till judgment day!

so i started looking at all religions, dabbled in the ideas of Atheism and Agnosticism, looked into Buddhism and Wicca, Islam & Judaism and nothing fit. so i went back to Christianity only on my own terms. so i started reading liberal Christian books, started seeing the Bible from a less legalistic, less literal pov and found the peace id been searching for. so i didnt really chose it, i found it.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:48 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• So that's what being Jewish was all about for me growing up... Eating "Jewish" meals and marrying Jewish boys who also couldn't care less if you go to the movies Friday night or eat a huge cheeseburger.
    Fast forward a few years, I did manage to marry that "nice, Jewish boy" and both him and I started realizing some hypocrisies and inconsistencies in what our religion was. We went through some rough patches and we wondered if there wasn't more to spirituality and being human than merely having a hell of a stuffed cabbage. We started attending classes in a small religious center near our house and we were hooked by the wisdom and the logic behind it. We realized we didn't even know what Judaism actually was, we used to see it just as a set of pointless restrictions, not as a meaningful and fulfilling lifestyle. Fast forward about 10 years and now we're both Orthodox Jews. And that's how we ended up here!

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 11:04 AM on Oct. 8, 2010