So, after reading the question about ugly babies - what would you say if...

After reading the question about what you say if you see a baby you don't think is cute, what would you ladies say in this situation? On a few occasions this year, I've been shown or had emailed to me the proofs for Senior pictures for the kids of friends. Most of them are nice, some are really good. Twice I've thought "wow" - so is this a Senior picture or a resume for a strip club / porno mag?!?

How do you reply when their proud mama's ask me what I think, which one I like best, etc? (In one case, I started to show them to my dh, because I was so shocked, and he was like - wow - looks like she should be hanging from a pole, and, sure enough, a few pics later, she was...) When her mom came to get them, I didn't really know what to say....

sailorwifenmom

Asked by sailorwifenmom at 9:52 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• How well do I know this person???? LOL If I don't know the person well, then I'd probably do like you. If it were family or close friend, I may be more inclined to be honest.
    Desi_Momof4

Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 9:59 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Smile and say they are nice. Not much to do, not my kid, so not my business I guess.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 9:56 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I should add, in both cases, I just picked out one or two that I thought weren't as bad as the others and said I liked them, but what would you do?
    sailorwifenmom

Comment by sailorwifenmom (original poster) at 9:53 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I just smile and say talented.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:56 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I would do the same thing that you did and pick the ones that werent so bad....
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 9:59 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I go with the more subtle non-answer: Hmm, you know, it's hard to say. What one do *you* like best?
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:11 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I agree with Desi - if I knew the person well I would probably just say - WOW when she asked what I thought, but I imagine if I was very close I would have expected to see what was handed to me. Not being close enough to be candid I would do what you did.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 11:18 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• If it was my best friend, I would be brutally honest with her and tell her.
    But if it was someone else, I would just smile and say "They are all about the same, you will have to pick. I cant decide".
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 12:53 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Maybe she knows they are bad and wants someone else to back her up.
    martinmommy26

Answer by martinmommy26 at 9:17 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Thanks ladies! If I was really close to either of the ladies, I probably would have felt more comfortable about saying something, but I'm only casual friends with the one - she sent a bulk email with a bunch of pics in it, and the email she sent said "decisions, decisions - so many great shots to choose - I might just have to buy them all" then went on to joke about how her dh would kill her if she spent that much on pics, etc. They were both very excited about the pics of their kids :-(

One of them, the girl was standing thigh deep in water, wet like she was coming in from swimming, hands pushing her hair back, in a wet black t shirt with 2011 in big white letters on it, and a bathing suit bottom... Seriously, this is a graduation picture??... :-(

sailorwifenmom

Comment by sailorwifenmom (original poster) at 11:54 PM on Oct. 8, 2010