Should I still breastfeed if my baby has a stomach virus?

My baby is 21 months old. She has been vomitting for the last couple of hours. The first time it was right after she nursed, the second time it was after drinking water. She can't hold ANYTHING down but she's crying to nurse.

Should I nurse her even though she's going to throw it all up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:28 PM on Oct. 25, 2008 in General Parenting

• Definitely keep nursing!!! Any nutrition your daughter can keep down will help, and she needs the comfort of it!
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 5:30 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Yes, human milk is about the only thing a child can tolerate when they have the stomach virus. In fact, I pumped and gave it to my preschooler when she was sick; I was able to do this because I was nursing her baby brother.
    yarnjunkie

Answer by yarnjunkie at 5:34 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Yes absolutely! Try doing small amounts at a time. if you can pump to be sure she gets some, but not too much, do so. When my daughter was sick we did pedialite - 1 oz. wiat10 minutes. If it's still down another oz. then build. It works even better with breastmilk.
    Anonymous

• I agree with dedicatedrider, 100%!!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 6:32 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Yes she needs that extra nutrition, antibodies, and comfort, nurse for a minute let her rest for five minutes that way she can have breaks without feeling up to the point of vomiting.
    little.miss.mom

Answer by little.miss.mom at 7:03 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• That was the only thing that comforted my kids when they had the stomach flu. I hope she feels better soon, poor thing.
    thisnametaken

Answer by thisnametaken at 10:39 PM on Oct. 25, 2008