Should inmates be required to cutt their hair???

mekarevell

Asked by mekarevell at 10:20 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• My husband used to work for the prison system . They are (here in Ga anyway) mandated to have cable tv in the common room! The rationale? It keeps the prisoners busy. Translation? babysitting. Makes the guard's job a lil easier. Cut their hair, cut the cable, stop giving them all this stuff! Other than being with family and friends they arent really missing out on much in prison. They have a place to stay, 3 meals a day, cable tv, medical and dental (they are supposed to pay for that if they can which in most cases isnt happening.) They talk openly about doing stuff once they get out just so they can get back in! So cut their hair, men's and womens. It cuts down on vermin and makes them think about freedom on the outside.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 8:07 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I think they should have shaved heads, hopefully that will cut down on lice and other critters, ewww...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 12:02 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Yes. They should hate prison with every ounce of their soul...or else what's the point?
    art.diva

Answer by art.diva at 12:07 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• yep...military has to cut their hair why not in prison?
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 10:56 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Sure, unless it's going to cost me more money...
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 10:21 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• What difference does it make if they have short or long hair? I really don't think it matters. They are in PRISON, not going out for a date!
    Cutt their hair? (CUT) How would they? I think you mean "Get their hair CUT" right?
    It is something I am not going to waste time thinking about.
    Where did THIS come from? LOL.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:25 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Actually in some states they are. And no they don't pay for it, another inmate usually does it. Lower security inmates can check out clippers and shears for this purpose, and in some prisons it is their job. Men are also required to shave. And women are to remove facial hair if they have it too. I read the CDC handbook that my friend had at his house.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:25 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Yes.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:29 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• What rights? Once they enter prison, they have the right to adequate food, shelter, and safety from bodily harm. That's it, imo. No big screen TVs with (or without) cable, no exercise rooms, nothing that makes prison pleasant. Prison is punishment. They should be working for their keep, gardening for their food where and when appropriate, and doing what they can to make amends to society for the wrong they have done. It's not a 5-star hotel; it's prison. So, yes, if the prison rules say inmates must wear their hair a certain way, then they must comply without complaint or appeal. Bring on the shears or the clippers and cut away.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 7:22 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I really don't think they should have to cut their hair unless of course they let it get dirty or nasty. Of course, it could hurt pretty bad to have your long hair pulled in a fight. But not they shouldn't have to cut their hair
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 10:23 PM on Oct. 7, 2010