Sleeping through the night

Well my son is 11 months old and still doesn't sleep through the night. Every other night he bathes at 730 and is always in bed by 8 but still this doesn't seem to be working. I give him rice cereal in his bottles but doesn't seem to work. Lately he has been waking up around midnight and throws his bottle and screams until I give in and put him in bed with me; where he crashes within 5 minuets! Any Advice?

butterflymom112

Asked by butterflymom112 at 5:47 PM on Oct. 25, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Let him scream and cry.
    As you discovered, a bedtime routine does not work for all babies.
    And, as you discovered, the cereal in a bottle is an old wives tale.

You have a choice:
    Let him cry. Most older babies learn in a night or two that this trick no longer works and they start sleeping better.
    Keep bringing him into your bed and fight this battle later, when he is older. Of course, he will be even more used to it then plus he'll be in the terrible toddler years.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:59 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• I do not believe in crying it out. There are less brutal ways of getting your baby to sleep. Try reading the No Cry Sleep Solution. Most children learn to sleep through the night by the time they're two, whether you make them scream or not.
    Anonymous

• i say do whatever helps you get the most sleep and if that means taking him to bed with you then so be it.
    also, please don't put the cereal in a bottle. i would suggest spoonfeeding it at dinner instead.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 8:38 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• I say to let him cry it out. I know it may be as hard on you as on him (if not harder) but you both will get through it. It will be for the better for both of you. Before I left the hospital the nurse said to me "Remember a baby has never died from crying. They adventually wear themselves out til they fall asleep" Every time my baby is crying for no reason, I repeat that to myself.
    nfutter

Answer by nfutter at 9:52 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Don't give in. It isn't good for him to have that bottle while falling asleep so you have a two fold habit to break. Give him water. After awhile, he won't make a fuss for the bottle if that's all he is getting. It's hard but worth it to break the habit. When he cry, screams, whatever, go in and tell him to lay down, place him down and leave the room. Return at five minutes, then ten, then 15 and continue at 15 until he is asleep. It may take two hours. When you go in, do not talk after the first visit. Put him down, pat him to reassure him you are there and he is safe but you aren't backing down. Watch supernanny for help. She deals with this nearly every week with older kids. It's the consistency that matters and the resolve to be in charge. Nothing wrong with that Mom.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 8:34 AM on Oct. 26, 2008