• In the Spotlight:

Help!! My 12 year old son wants to sleep in our room

I dont know what to do he is 12!! He wont sleep by him self I tell him he is safe and we are right next door I dont know what he is scared of we have a night light in there and a full size bed we also decorated it the way he wanted and put a tv in there still he is scared I dont know what to do we force him in there and he gets so scared he will stay in there untell we fall a sleep then he will come in our room its so weird what should i do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:52 PM on Oct. 25, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• I would pry and see what's going on. Something is obviously bothering him. I wouldn't make him sleep in his room, let him sleep with you until he gets over whatever is creeping him out.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 5:58 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• My daughter did the same thing at 9. Scared of the night/dark/whatever... My husband finally brought our outside-dog, a black lab, inside and let her sleep with him. She was so sure that if anything came into her room the dog would protect her. it worked! And my four year old sleeps with his flash light and indiana jones whip so he can shine the bad guys and whip them:) whatever works.
    Genevieve7

Answer by Genevieve7 at 6:05 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• I like the dog idea above, also maybe a brother or sister in the room would be more conforting =]
    Anonymous

• I have tried that we have to dogs and his little brother still he wont we even let him watch tv we asked him why he is scared and he says he dont know
    Anonymous

• my mom used to sit in my doorway with a radio on really low untill i fell asleep, why dont you try that?
    Anonymous

• Did he watch scary movies on a tv in his room or a friends house? My little brother and my daughter have both done that around that age. You need to talk to him a find out what is going on!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 6:37 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• My grandmother's cat died when I was about 8 or 9 - and she buried her animals in the backyard! It totally freaked me out. I stayed overnight there a lot and whenever it was bedtime I'd lay down and start getting freaked about the dead cat, so I told her I was scared of the dark so she'd come in and keep me safe. Maybe it;s something bizarre like that LOL
    Anonymous

• U really need 2 find out what's going on bc IMO, this isn't normal. Has he ever said or done (ne thing other than this) 2 u that would be a red flag? I wouldn't pry bc it mite just make him clam up instead of open up. Maybe mention it to his school counselor (if ur ok w/it & think he will b 2) and c if he/she can get ne thing out of him. It's no secret that teenage yrs r the hardest 4 us as well as them, but obviously there's something heavy weighing on his mind.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 10:19 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• My daughter did this at 13. Turned out she'd watched the Exorcist at a sleep over. I got her a crucifix and told her it would keep the demons away. She slept well after that. If he has watched a movie then you might be able to give him a talisman...doesn't have to be a religious metal. Afraid of vampires? Put a clove of garlic over his door. Afraid of something in his closet? Put a lock on the outside of his door. Under his bed? put his matresses on the floor. I'm a firm believer in giving a kid a sense of control over their fears until they outgrow them. It could be medical too...he may have panic attacks. A friend of mine's son was terrifed that his dad was going to die around that age. That one is a little harder to deal with...but at least you can reassure.
    profmom922

Answer by profmom922 at 11:27 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• There may be nothing wrong. He may be simply growing up and unsure of how to deal with all the changes that are going on with his body and mind. Whatever, he needs to know that it is innapropriate that a 12 yo sleeps with a parent whether male or female. I am a family bed parent up until puberty. I agree with talking to him and possibly counseling outside the school. He doesn't need his peers to know about this.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:35 PM on Oct. 25, 2008