Is Using a Sewing Machine Easy???

mekarevell

Asked by mekarevell at 10:23 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• It really depends on the model. I started sewing at the age of 4 on my great-aunt's peddle type sewing machine that was handed down to my grandmother, later I worked at a sewing factory on a newer model that was totally different from my grandmother's and about 40 times faster. There are plain sewer,sergers,and several other types of machines. I suggest that you use a plain sewer home model and get books at the library that show the basics
    beckybuck

Answer by beckybuck at 11:45 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I've been using one for decades and I still have no idea what I'm doing. You can actuallly take a class and they will show you the basics. You don't have to be a pro to tailor your own clothes or make things around the house. I just made slip covers for the couch and all new pillowcases without doing anything special. If you can thread the machine and sew in a straight line you can do lots of great things.
    Blabbermouth

Answer by Blabbermouth at 10:30 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I haven't used a sewing machine in years but it wasn't all that hard. You just have to go slow so you can keep your seams straight.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 10:29 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I have used one since I was a young girl and to me it is. There are manuals with the machines that give instructions on how to thread it and care for it and what each button does. Start off with a simple one. I just bought another one and due to budget could not get a fancy one, but got a Martha Stewart machine. (I got a free one year subscription to her magazine with it too :D ). How to videos can be found online to show you techniques.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 10:36 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• It is not difficult. It is important to know how to adjust the tension. The tension is the top thread and the bottom thread looping together in the fabric. You do not want it above or below the fabric. Keep your thread ends out of the way and not tangled up. Remember think, think, think. The fabric ripper can be a good friend.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:40 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Unless the machine is quirky (i.e. old and perhaps broken and repaired many times) it's super easy. Always practice on scraps or rags first so you get the feel foe it. Have fun!
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 10:36 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• good question! i was just thinking about selling my sewing machine online or at a yard sale because i've had it for about 3 years now and have only used it once :( i REALLY want to learn how to sew but my mom moved away and there is not sort of classes for it in my area :( i'd ask my MIL but it would be weird to have her 'teach' me, plus she'd probably just offer to sew whatever i want herself :P I really wish i could take a class to learn how... the manual didn't help me that much, i didn't think about online videos though, i may have to try that :)
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 10:57 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• You might double check to see if there are classes in your area. They have them at most hobbie/craft/sewing stores, but they also have them at libraries, community centers, etc. Good luck!
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 12:11 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• after learning how to use my sewing machine i became an expert about it and love it
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 1:20 PM on Oct. 9, 2010