How do we go from a co-sleeping blanket hog, to a crib-sleeping queen?

We've tried putting her in her crib while she's just a little bit awake but that makes her eyes pop right open. We've tried siting with her,going in and reassuring her every few minutes but she goes ballistic until she get to come back to our bed. What should I do she's 10 months and I want my bed back. Please Help!!!

Mandy

Natalie's SuperMom

nataliesupermom

Asked by nataliesupermom at 5:58 PM on Oct. 25, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It will take time, and it will be difficult to hear your child crying. Something I do to keep the bond with my daughter that co-sleeping provides, is in the morning when her dad gets up for work, she wakes up to be fed. At that time, I let her come into my bed and we sleep together for a few more hours.

Good Luck to you, and stick with it!! It will work, just give it time!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 8:06 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• It's going to take time but if you want her to sleep in her bed then you are going to have to stop giving in. Put her to bed and then leave the room, she needs to cry it out. If she doesn't stop crying after 10 minutes go in and giver hugs until she calms down and then start the whole process over again. Give it a few days and you will have a crib sleeping queen.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 7:21 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• We weened her from it. She slept with us in bed for a month, then in a cradle next to us for a month and a half. The whole time she would take her naps in her crib...sometimes she liked it, sometimes she didn't. But it was not a foreign place to her.

I would suggest something similar to what Sammiesmom2000 suggested, with a few changes. I put on soft music for Kaylee at bed time. Also, after letting her cry for 5 or 10 minutes, go in and comfort her, but DO NOT pick her up. Bed time needs to be business like, she needs to know you are serious (Yes, she will be able to pick up on that at her age). Do not stay for 20 minutes comforting her...do what is necessary, then leave. Wash rinse and repeat. If you want this to work, you MUST stay consistent.
    CarolynBarnett