I am a new mom and i am breastfeeding ppl say i can drink but i was wondering how much i can drink that wont affect the baby

TanZee

Asked by TanZee at 10:26 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you drink you have to pump and toss....thats what i had to do...just one drink if you dont punp and toss will go to the baby
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 10:28 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• look this up on kellymom.com.

I limit myself to two glasses of wine or champagne, but havent had anything else to drink since breastfeeding. Some alcohol is okay, and youre better off not pumping and dumping, but just waiting until the alcohol has passed in your system.

The general rule is "safe to drive safe to nurse" But i know a lot of people who stretch the "i'm okay to drive" rule, so....
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 10:36 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• you do not have to pump and toss.

If you don't feel the effects of it, it's not too much in the milk. Now if you go and slam some, you shouldn't nurse but you don't have to pump and toss. It will work itself out of the body without pumping so once you don't feel any effects, you are safe to nurse again but you may have to pump to relieve some of the pressure. In that case, you will need to toss what you get out.

I always had a couple glasses of wine every night over the course of 4-5 hours.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:37 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Pumping and dumping does not eliminate the alcohol from the milk. You have to wait for the alcohol to metabolize out. A basic rule is if you are feeling the effects of the alcohol, do not nurse until you are feeling "normal" again. Go to Le Leche League's website and read the alcohol section. It gives you guidelines to follow regarding drinking.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:43 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• love the question, as i am expecting my first child in december and was wondering the samething, as i will want to have a drink or two for xmas and for new years eve and my bday on new years day and then my hubbys bday a week latr. i have missed out on having a drink for so many things this year already. weddings, bday parties and so on, so i am lookin forward to just haveing a drink and not needing to worry am i harming my baby, thanks ladies.
    otoole

Answer by otoole at 10:44 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I guess this all depends on who you ask. first of all I would ask your doctor. I know someone who would have quite a few drinks, go home and a couple hours later bf. me, personally, I wouldn't drink at all. I only bf for 12 to 18 months and I can handle not having anything to drink for that long.. not that I haven't wanted to. I just don't think you can be completely sure about what is getting to the baby so, I don't think it's worth it. they do have new testers. they're called milkscreen, they are supposed to be able to tell if there is any alcohol left in your breast milk.... but again I wouldn't trust it :)
    young-not-dumb

Answer by young-not-dumb at 10:57 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• i would limit to one drink per hr but safe to drive safe to nurse. there is no reason to pump and dump.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:26 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I was told by my mother and other people that is safe just to have 1 beer and also it's supposed to help you have more milk it never worked for me !!!!!!!!!!!
    krystal2010

Answer by krystal2010 at 12:51 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Keep it to ONE. It's an easy number to remember. **grin** Safe to drive safe to nurse. Safer to just have ONE thing that you work on for a couple of hours.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:56 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• My personal rule is 1-2 drinks, still ok to nurse when needed. Any more then that, wait 2-3 hours per drink.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:19 PM on Oct. 8, 2010