If your husband were in an accident and he was rendered mentally retarded what would you do?

Would you stay married? Would you divorce him? Or stay and take care of him? I myself have NO idea what I'd do.... I'd like to think I'd stay, I love my husband so much.

MarlyeGirl

Asked by MarlyeGirl at 6:03 PM on Oct. 25, 2008 in Relationships

• I would stay married...there was a reason I married him in the first place, right? Granted, It would be incredibly hard to deal with it, especially at a young age. But he is an amazing man, and I don't think that him being in mentally handicapped state would change that at all. In fact, he would still be amazing, just in a totally different way. When you get married, you promise "for better or worse"...and though this would be the "worse" you can always make a "better" out of it. He's my best friend...I could never just leave. It's my job as a wife, to take care of him no matter what. Now, I know I would be tempted to stray, because the physical intimacy would be gone, but I think as long as I was married, I could resist. Because, even mentally handicapped people can provide a wonderful sense of intellectual intimacy. Smiles, hugs,simple things. And those are the things I cherish now, so I'd love them even more then.
    Emmy_Dollface

Answer by Emmy_Dollface at 6:09 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• It wouldn't change a thing!
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 6:07 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• I think I would stay but, I doubt I would be able to stay faithful for long.
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 6:09 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• i would most DEFF. stay with him i wouldnt even think of leaving him
    Anonymous

• i honestly don't know. he aggravates the crap outta me, but I adore him and he has given me two amazingly beautiful babies. What kinda mom would I be to leave? What kinda example is that to my girls?
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 6:14 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• I'm glad everybody loves their hubby's so much. I changed my answer. I KNOW I'd stay. For better or for worse... just like Emmy said.

MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 6:16 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Emmy- I loved what you said, I'm so glad there are other wifes out there who feel the same way.

I would of course stay, and not just stay but be faithful even in a situation that isn't perfect. I love him way to much to let him down. For better or worse it what we said when we got married. It would be hard but I have my beautiful children and I'd still have my husband! Handicapped isn't dead, my goodness! I'd be thankful to just have him. I pray that that will never happen and I'll never have to be in this situation. God watches over him when I can't, and always!
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 6:25 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Well, I have been in this exact situation. In May 2007, my husband, had a near fatal motorcycle accident. I received the devastating news from his boss who saw the accident happen, which was not his fault. He was in a coma for 6 days, had several broken bones, and internal bleeding. When he woke up he thought we had two kids, which we did not have any at the time. He couldn't do math, didn't even know what day it was, and definitely could not take care of himself, basically he didn't know anything.
    JD08

Answer by JD08 at 6:31 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• CONTINUED: The doctors told us on several occasions that he would never be normal and he would be living in a living center for the rest of his life. I ended up taking him back to our house, he was on approximately 15 different kinds of medication. A year in a half later he is pretty much normal, except for severe headaches and sometimes severe mood swings. You can never trust what the doctors say, they can always be wrong. The brain is an organ and can miraculously heal! If it were to happen again I would do the same thing, but I pray that he would never have to endure it again.
    JD08

• Wow, JD08. You are an amazing woman! You're like the movie 'Henry' with Harrison Ford. A lot of love, hard work, and love. ( I know I wrote love twice...that's the most important part :) )

I love my husband. He has done so much for me. He's taken care of me through so many things, how could I not do the same for him. I love him so much and would definitely stick around and continue loving him and taking care of him forever.

Thanks for the thought provoking question MarlyeGirl.

chupachyps

Answer by chupachyps at 6:53 PM on Oct. 25, 2008