What's the difference in the types of schools - Comprehensive, Alternative Education & Public Charter?

I looked at a Christian school but they were averaging $800+ a month. Which is about $800+ a month out of our budget. Especially with 2 kids within the next 2 years going. How do I find a quality school in my area? Just checking by location doesn't tell me really anything other than which school she should be attending. If I have to I'm willing to fudge the address and drive her to school if the one down a little further is better. But how can I tell??? Thanks
And I'm not knocking the public school, I went to one. But sometimes it felt like the kids ran thing not the teachers.

Danni143

Asked by Danni143 at 10:55 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in

• look up your district and then look at the school's 'report cards'. I know in my state they have accountability reports you can look at. It will rate the school according to your state's standards. If the school is below or above state standard. You can see standardized testing scores, student teacher ratios, and suspension records, as well as other info. This is the way I picked the school my daughter goes to. Her school is in the top 400 of over 8000 in our state. I can tell by what she has already learned, and by comparison with her friends in other schools. She is receiving a top education, and it is a public school.
    Allie428

Answer by Allie428 at 11:04 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Thanks I was just on the site and I'll look again for the report card for the schools. I'm glad I'm starting now even though she doesn't go until the 2011-2012 school year. I want to make sure I have everything in a row.
    Danni143

Comment by Danni143 (original poster) at 11:17 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Comprehensive is a normal high school. Charter is a public high school that has it's own governing board and usually a specialty. My son goes to a charter high school that was started by Bill and Maria Gates. It is part of the Delta Project. It is an expeditionary high school. Instead of units they go on expeditions. The expeditions go across the 4 core subjects (English, History, Science and Math). They do field work, hands on projects. They are expected to do 15 hrs a year of community service in order to graduate. It is a college prep school that uses no books except Algebra. The kids are held responsible for their actions and education. Alternative is usually for kids that don't make it in a "normal' high school.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:22 PM on Oct. 8, 2010