Baby choking and gagging for no reason?

This literally just happened. I was surfing through cafe mom with my 2 week old sleeping propped up in the bend of my knee and all of a sudden he started gagging and gasping for air and turning blue. I have him a second to let him work it out himself, but then he was turning blue so I flipped him in the upside down position we are suppose to use for choking and by this time he started breathing again. My first son had reflux and I can say that this baby shows no signs of it, except this. Anyone else have this happen to them? not sure I'll be able to sleep tonight!

sunshine58103

Asked by sunshine58103 at 11:00 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• . Could've been the position he was in but for him to turn blue that quick is scarry. can be caused from other factors. since hes only 2wks old I would take him to the hospital if he starts showing signs of breathing problems again
    lovmyhubby

Answer by lovmyhubby at 11:06 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• A few things...
    It could be baby is getting sick and tonsils are swelling or drainage is running down.
    It could still be amniotic fluid which is IMO the most likely cause.
    and the worst thing I have ever heard of was at company I worked for had air lifted a baby girl that stopped breathing when she fell asleep. Something in her brain shut down. But this was as soon as she fell asleep and she had to be on a vent to stay alive.
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 11:07 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• was he on his tummy? I would make sure his head isn't propped up so the airway stays open and on his back
    lovmyhubby

Answer by lovmyhubby at 11:08 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• that is sooo soo soo scary. i would get him in immediately! for the fact that he was "sitting" up, that would freak me out. my ds in 11m and turning blue like that... oh man, i would be on the phone day or night with a nurse or doctor describing it. they would tell you if it's a phase or something to bring him in for. like the pp, you do not want it to end up happening while he's asleep.. that is so scary.
    Marri357

Answer by Marri357 at 11:13 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I am so sorry. My daughter has reflux and has had episodes similar to this. Honestly she chokes randomly throughout the day. At night we cosleep, and studies have shown that to help regulate breathing. I wish you the best.
    Sillybillymel

Answer by Sillybillymel at 12:56 AM on Oct. 8, 2010