ISO Strawberry Cake Frosting

So, it's breast cancer awareness month and I like to bake a strawberry cake with strawberry icing. This time around I'm finding it almost impossible to find "regular" icing instead of Betty Crocker's Whipped icing. I don't care for it too much. The taste is too bland. Pillsbury is the same way. I couldn't even find a shelf label for it. BTW, the Reduced Sugar is gross. Anyway, if there are any cake bakers out there can you tell me why this is so hard to find. If you KNOW a cake baker PLEASE send them my question. TIA

mom2trewife2vic

Asked by mom2trewife2vic at 6:33 PM on Oct. 25, 2008 in Food & Drink

• Well I really think it all depends on what store you are going to. I haven't had any trouable finding regular frosting. But you can always make your own with strawberry extract and food coloring.
    bugandsmiles

Answer by bugandsmiles at 6:37 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• You can buy a strawberry cake and bake it and put strawberry curd in between the fillings and frost with homemade strawberry frosting....if you are interest message me and I will be glad to give you some I have from taste of the south magazine...
    luckymommax7

Answer by luckymommax7 at 7:22 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Strawberry frosting is easy...just add strawberry puree to a buttercream. You can either puree frozen or fresh berries, or you can use strawberry preserves, but that ends up a bit sweeter, so tame it a little with some lemon juice (not too much, just about 1/2 tsp).
    Use 1 cup butter, 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar, and 3-5 tbsp strawberry puree. Add vanilla, almond, or lemon extract (1 tsp).
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 8:57 PM on Oct. 25, 2008